18" Circles for Wreath Centers - Getting there

Loving the pass-thru slot on the Pro. I made a small wreath center for the house and now the relatives want one of their own… of course. :slight_smile: The one on the left is 14", perfect for the center of an 18" wire wreath frame
The one on the right is effectively the largest circle I could cut on this lovely device. I tweaked the design and make it an 18" circle, then I cut the vector in half in inkscape and then laser the top 9" half first, slide it up, and then cut the bottom. You can put it all into one design if you make the top half one color and the bottom half another color. Still have some work to do on relief cuts… I broke a few leaves off trying to get the crazily-shaped scraps out.

Eagle-eyed readers will notice a ruler inside the forge. I used this self-adhesive metal measuring tape and stuck it straight on the crumb tray. Lowe’s/Home Depot have it too. It is helping to keep the alignment between web app and forge. Don’t trust what the camera shows, especially at the edges, but instead trust math and some test cuts for alignment.

20180321_233319

34 Likes

What a cool project … every family should have one of these! Nice job!

Yes, they turned out wonderful! :grinning:

Very nice job of matching cut edges on the passthrough! We haven’t seen very many examples of this.

I’m seeing a new project! Thanks for the explanation…

Great job. Love it.

I love this! I have been wondering the easiest way to go about making large circles with the pass through slot. Any tips you can give? I’m a newbie.

Thanks. All the tips are in the original post I think. What part were you wondering about?

So you split your design basically in half? Then cut the top half and slid your wood further into the GF, did you mark your wood to know where your starting point was? I wish there was a video as I have some signs I’d like to make that are 18 x 24 and it would be so nice to try and do it in my GF as a one piece. If you should make another one or if anyone does and would be willing to video, please tag me so I can view it…thank you so much for sharing…it is a beautiful piece.

No video, but there are a couple of tutorials:

2 Likes

What type of wood is this? I am using half inch birch and its too thick to go through the passthrough. I cant get it to line up for half and half. You are saying to use your own ruler? Nothing ever lines up for me once I take it out or move it.

This is 1/8" cheap plywood from Menards.
I’ve also done it with red maple plywood and birch.
I never use 1/2" for the exact reasons you’re mentioning. Plus it’s expensive and heavy.

Hope that helps

Thank you! I’m finding out the birch half is quite heavy.