2 oz leather too thin to cut?

Hey there! All of the leather cutting information seems to be for thicker leather, but I’m curious about garment weight, 2oz veg tan lamb hide, and cow hide from my local leather supplier.

I’ve tried a zillion settings and it seems to curl and burn, while not even cutting through.

I’m afraid to use tape because I set my GF on fire with taping some EVA foam. Not my finest moment.

I’m trying to cut smaller shapes, like 3" stars. Have any of you had any luck with thin leather?

1 Like

Yes - I’m not sure where you were with your zillion settings, but low power and high speed is what you’re looking for.

You want to run tests that are repeatable. I’d start with this with your power at 1 and your speed at max, and raise the power by 2 so your max is 19. Likely the right answer is going to be in that 10-15 range, but test outside it to be sure.

7 Likes

Amazing! Thank you, I don’t think I began my zillionth setting that low… perhaps that was why it’s become a crispy disaster.

What are your thoughts on tape for thin leather?

1 Like

I use masking on anything I’m not intending on washing - a nice medium tack will stick well, but not do much damage - especially if you put it on right before you cut, and take it off right after.

Also, I have a big tupperware full of salt that I throw all my leather cuts into - and shake them around. It won’t clean off the char entirely but it takes it from “everything I touch turns black” to “there’s some char on here.”

11 Likes

I call it “I lost a fight with a pack of feral pencils”. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 27 days. New replies are no longer allowed.