2 Sided maze

So, you may have seen my isocahedral maze or @pubultrastar’s snub cube take on the concept, but the prospect of a polyhedron and a multisided maze seems like a lot to take on. So, I decided to make a two-sided maze to share with people who want to be inspired.

doublesided maze cutsheet

(Click here to download)

I designed the inner hexagon to be 4" wide, though scale is kind of up to you. It’s easy to make:

• Score the black maze (I defocus mine to make the lines wider, I set the height to be 0.5") and cut the blue outline
  • Remove the cut piece carefully without moving the surrounding material.
  • Flip the piece, reinsert into the cut hole in the surrounding material
  • Turn off the blue outline and black maze
  • Score the green maze and cut the red outline
  • Remove your hexagonal doublesided maze

Enjoy!

Side A:

Side B:

26 Likes

would be cool to make the lines wider and use your trick to make them two lines and then engrave and see where you could get to with a marble you move by changing the angle, A good steady hand exercise.

1 Like

Awesome thx for sharing the design :slight_smile:

1 Like

Go nuts, man. It’s a free design, do what you like with it.

You can create many variations of this at http://www.mazegenerator.net/ - although you need to pay if you’d like to sell products based on them.

I’ve been working on a 4D maze puzzle (rolling steel ball) using modified output from that site.

1 Like

Yup, as was linked in my original post.

The secret sauce is making the maze more appropriate to a two-sided or polyhedral application. It requires a bit of work to get it to have a unique solution that really takes advantage of the medium, ideally your solution would snake back and forth across various sides, the 2-d stock mazes are a good starting point but will be a pretty flat experience unless you work at it a bit.

Very cool! Thanks for the share!

1 Like

I have used that site before, It’s fun!
I made this shirt for my daughter lol

9 Likes

Love mazes. That turned out nice.

3 Likes

@evansd2 Thank you for the share!

@trually What a fun shirt!!

2 Likes