3...2...1...Escutcheon Cover

Hello Glowfolks. I finally get to post in this category!

It appears that making an escutcheon for your Glowforge is one of the rights of passage and a way to show people what interests you.

For me, it was a chance to try learn AI. Fail. I gave up after a while and went back to Photoshop. We can argue over software choice, but PS works just fine. SVG files out of PS are easy to produce and no issues so far as I tested. I do need to work on my Bezier curves though.

So here are some things I’ve learned today.

• The Glowforge isn’t reading QR codes on the acrylic material (still no joy on Maple too)
  • When you design at one scale then shrink to size, go back and check the details
  • One a related note, must get some Gorilla tape, I’ll be weeding this thing forever
  • Acrylic is smellier than Maple, noticable throughout the cut/engrave
  • The escutcheon cover looks good in both acrylic and Maple.

This took just under a 20 minutes to process.

I’ll update with the Maple tomorrow… still weeding :slight_smile:

107 Likes

Awesome idea!

7 Likes

Love it! :grin:
(also love the “still weeding” comment)

8 Likes

Great design, I love it! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Looks awesome! Looking forward to the maple

2 Likes

This may be my favorite to date. Great work. And yes, it is a rite of passage.

7 Likes

Brilliant!

7 Likes

Very clever. So looking forward to all the creative designs for this.

4 Likes

Congratulations!

5 Likes

Awesome job!!! Can’t wait until I get to play with my Glowforge! I’m still stuffing my face with butter chicken and nann. … lol

8 Likes

Yum!

You will love making things and figuring out what works when you get the chance. Soon :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Here is the Maple version of the shuttle stack escutcheon. I have the acrylic above it for comparison

I like both of them but the acrylic will probably find it’s home there until I do the next one.

34 Likes

I think I like that one better - easier to see the artwork. :slightly_smiling_face::thumbsup:

1 Like

Can’t decide–I like 'em both!

1 Like

The nice thing is we don’t have to decide, just move them about on any given day. :smiley:

2 Likes

cool design!

1 Like

Thanks. I think next up is Orion, the button will be the docking hatch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh man! That is such a great escutcheon! I’m going to have to start thinking of mine!

2 Likes

I have had my Glowforge for 12 days. I haven’t made one yet. Alas!
Alright alright.

I’ll come up with something.

13 Likes

Love it! I completely forgot about these until the other day and realized since my unit is coming soon, I gotta come-up with something for one of my own… I’ve seen so many cool ideas here I felt like the good ones were all taken—you just proved me wrong. I have a few ideas though. We’ll see what happens.

3 Likes