3 lasers all with same problem, orange light

I have 3 lasers, which is important for a laser business. You need back ups and I have 3 units, so that should be plenty. But this week, all within a few days of each other, they have all died. Every time I use them, the orange light comes on sometime after the print starts. (although one unit goes orange the minute you turn the unit on) I assume it is a problem with the printer head not getting a good connection or something like that. I have reseated all the ribbons for the printer head both on the printer head itself and the main circuit board. I have cleaned the connection and magnets on the base plate. Checked all the other ribbons, just in case. How can it be the same problem with all 3 machines? One machines is understandable. Two machines is out of the ordinary, but not impossible. But three machines going out for the same exact problem around the same time. That is suspicious. Anyone else having issues like this?

1 Like

If all three machines are exhibiting the exact same problem, I would suspect wi-fi interference of some type. Have you tried rebooting your router, or connecting your lasers through a hotspot on your cell phone?

3 Likes

Only about 30 times. The wifi router is about 10ft away. No problems with any other devices in the vicinity on the same network. I have even gone through the whole setup process again just in case. The lasers start to print, but stop about 5-15 minutes in and then the orange light turns on. It can’t be temperature either because I would get a temp warning.

1 Like

10,000 machines without that problem and you have three that do have the problem. One would be suspicious that it might be your situation and not the percentage of machines.

First off the light is supposed to be a sensor about how hot it is running, and Glowforge does have a surprisingly small range it can operate in. This is governed by the universe as too hot burns out the laser. An alternative is if the sensor or its connection to the machine has a problem, which is what checking the head and white ribbon etc. is all about.

3 Likes

I have an AC running in the room, blasting at 73 degrees, definitely not a temp problem.

1 Like

Are you using magnets? They can mess with the laser head.

1 Like

I’m so sorry that you’ve run into trouble with all three of your Glowforge printers. I see that you’ve emailed us about this. I’ve assigned your email ticket to myself and I’ve responded to you there with next steps, so I’m going to close this forum thread and I’ll continue to work with you on this via email.