30 DoD Challenge - Day 22 - Solar System Puzzle

As discussed here, I’m doing a challenge of designing something new each day for 30 days (30 Days of Design Challenge )

Here is the design I made for day 22. It’s a Solar System Puzzle.

I was inspired by this tiny image I found on Pinterest:

While I was making it, XKCD came out with this:

I learned a lot by making this puzzle. Who knew Jupiter had so many moons, or that there’s a dwarf planet between mars and Jupiter?

30 Likes

poor pluto.

10 Likes

I have a T-shirt that reads “In my day, the solar system had nine planets.” I have to keep putting it away and taking it out. I wish the scientists would make up their blinking minds.

8 Likes

Love, love, love this! How did you do the color on the planets?

5 Likes

This is awesome! The colorful planets really make it pop.

4 Likes

They are just stickers I printed. I need to find a better way to do those.

3 Likes

Theres one near Venus’ orbit as well.

Space is a big place and there’s a lot in it we haven’t seen.

4 Likes

I think it looks perfect!

2 Likes

But don’t you think it was a Mickey Mouse planet?

5 Likes

It’s all about scientists hating Disney.

4 Likes

This is wonderful! Another great one to make learning the planets easier for kids.

2 Likes

The Blues Clues planet song will never go away, but most days, I don’t remember if I had breakfast…

2 Likes

Ya think! :roll_eyes:

If we just made the dwarf planets actually planets there would be a dozen of them. On the other hand, if we crashed Ceres into Mars it would be more earthlike in a few (million ) years.

1 Like

Someone asked me if I would sell this design. So I put it on Etsy.

You can find it here:

7 Likes

There are a few issues that mean this needs at least one more try (like the corner being broken off!) but we are in home school hurry up mode and my husband pointed out that this is the child’s project not mine so we went with what came out of the machine on the first try.

Obviously it’s in acrylic and some of the etching was removed at the sun and way outer space.

The second round might include etching the planets on the top panel and only cutting out the bottom ones.

It’s a great project and we’ve used it for a couple of different assignments already!

2 Likes

That looks so awesome! I’m so happy you posted it. You took that design to a whole new level. I love it.

Thanks! Third grade paint job isn’t my thing, but it’s a cool way to approach an acrylic application and do love peeling off each layer of film and getting a crisp edge.

1 Like

you could do sublimation for the planet colors. the colors show up well on birch!

1 Like