30 DoD Challenge - Day 28 - Village Art

As discussed here, I’m doing a challenge of designing something new each day for 30 days (30 Days of Design Challenge )

Here is the design I made for day 28. It’s a piece of art, made from many pieces of baltic birch plywood, stained different colors.

To give you a sense of scale, this is me holding it:

I know the frame around it is not symetrical. It’s just the backer piece of wood. I’m going to make a nice frame for it next weekend (time permitted).

My inspiration starting point was this image:

39 Likes

Gorgeous! Love your artistry.

3 Likes

I love it!

2 Likes

Oooooh, I love this!

3 Likes

This is one of the nicest of the 28, in my humble opinion.

4 Likes

Nice work Ben! Great color choices, and a splendid use of scrap cutoffs! That piece work reall makes it. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Very nice work. Make something that is recognizable as Assisi and all the St. Francis devotees will eat it up.
https://www.in-italia.com/italy/umbria/assisi/

5 Likes

Inspiring piece! Beautiful work and a great homage to that original.

2 Likes

Nice… So tell me about the gappy look. Is it engraved on the edge of larger pieces?

2 Likes

No, it’s much simpler. It’s actual gaps between pieces. They are all glued on a board that I stained very dark (Espresso stain color).

3 Likes

Love it. Really impressed you’re going strong on day 28.

2 Likes

That is a really beautiful piece! The colors are fantastic! Great effort and execution.

2 Likes

Amazing. That’s a fine piece.

2 Likes

Very nice! Like the mosaic style art.

2 Likes

Another beautiful piece @polarbrainfreeze! Careful not to give away all your trade secrets. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well, you’ve done it again. I’m never surprised any more…just amazed over and over again. It’s lovely.

4 Likes