3d Engrave Grayscale

I engraved this for a friend for Veterans Day. The file was obtained rom a user group on Facebook. I have tried creating my own files in CorelDraw and PhotoPaint with dismal results. How does he do it?

Update: Since I originally posted this, I have learned that the person that I obtained the file from did not create it so I cannot say for sure they had permission to share so I have removed the link.

35 Likes

It seems like you should ask him?

2 Likes

I am amazed at how nice the plaque turned out. Everything is just perfect.

4 Likes

Is that layered, or engraved from one piece?

2 Likes

Looks engraved to me, and not even that deep. It’s just well-done greyscale with good settings. Easy enough to pull off with a 3d render and proper use of curves.

4 Likes

one piece

2 Likes

I’ve not been able to reach him, I think he is on a Facebook hiatus. He’s not been active for awhile.

1 Like

I installed Fusion 360 but I’m not getting things working right. I have a MacBook Pro and all of the videos and help topics are for Windows and some things do not translate the same.

1 Like

What wood are you using?

1 Like

That one was done on Red Oak plywood.

1 Like

That came out freaking awesome

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

OK, looking at the full resolution I see what looks like shadows are just engraved details. Looks much thicker/deeper than it is.

Looks good though!

3 Likes

Wow, inspired!

2 Likes

The shading is one of the things that stands out to me. Cleaning up the burn marks from the deeper engraving is impressive.

3 Likes

Nicely done! I’ve got that file running on my Forge right now!

2 Likes

Shame it’s only on failbook, but the creator is free to choose where they want to share it. It’s very generous of them!

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

3 Likes

Very nice just in time for Independence Day.
I sent a request to join the group on Facebook. i hope i get a chance to make this as well

2 Likes

It’s a common 3D STL CNC preview file that has been adjusted/edited. I don’t know who actually designed it, but that same eagle head is used in other files sold by different people on ETSY and other places. (Several folks also sell the finished plaques.) I saw that several of these commercial images that are for sale on Etsy and other sites were shared for free in the FB group. I really didn’t check who was sharing them or if they were the designer, but I’ll give Pidepiper the benefit of doubt and assume he/she was the designer and is just being very generous to the FB group. I would certainly double check if you were going to sell anything though because it wouldn’t be cool to circumvent the designer if it isn’t piedpiper. It’s kinda a weird area because it’s not the actual file that was shared, but it’s the preview and ultimately it’s not free to use.

4 Likes