3D engrave requirements?

What is needed to have the 3D engrave sub menu show up on an engrave object. I have seen it, got it to work once or twice on a .jpg image, but cannot get it to show up now? Have dug through the forum posts and read through lots of hints, but most are old, before it was implemented and reference the technical aspects.
Will the 3d engrave submenu show up on raster images (jpg, bmp, png)?
Will it show up on vector images (ai, svg, pdf)?
Thanks.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
I think this thread will answer many of your questions: 3D engraving question

7 Likes

Thanks for the link @dklgood, that’s is a great thread!

As @evansd2 mentioned back in 2018

“Vary Power” is called “3D engrave” on the materials that have consistent density: Draftboard, acrylics, and hardwoods.

Vary power should be an option available when engraving any raster/bitmap image. But won’t be available for vector files.

For more details about manual settings, check out this guide to working with manual mode.

If you’d ever like to see the settings we use for a piece of Proofgrade material, here’s how:

1. Open app.glowforge.com
  2. Open a design
  3. Choose the material
  4. Click a step in the left-hand column of steps
  5. Choose Cut, Engrave or Score to determine which setting you’d like to see
  6. Then choose “Manual” and you’ll see the default settings for that operation.

Note that materials vary widely, and the settings we use for Proofgrade material might not be safe or effective for a material with a similar name.

I’m going to close this thread - if you have any other questions, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for asking about this!