3D Engraving Pai Sho Tiles

I’ve been wanting to make my own pai sho tiles, so I used the free designs here as 2D bases for drawing 3D designs. (You can play the game online here by the way.)

The first test batch turned out well, though I do have one issue I would appreciate advice on.

I did these all at the same time with the same settings, so why does only the bottom row have distinct lines in the background? The svg files all have a solid black background, so it must have something to do with the laser process. I’m new to Glowforge, so I don’t know much about troubleshooting. Thanks!

Update:

I painted the first batch red. I set the cut speed too slow for the second batch and the edges charred a bit, so I painted that set black. For the third batch, I merged all the separate tile images into one solid image and finally got the lines to stop appearing. Still have no idea what the issue was, but at least there’s a workaround.

18 Likes

What kind of material was this? Support would ask you to reproduce the issue on Proofgrade material to eliminate that as a variable.

It’s 1/4" maple with MDF core. I’m mostly just asking on the side here in hopes that it’s a basic problem with a simple solution. If it’s not, I’ll just use proofgrade and ask in Problems and Support. :slightly_smiling_face:

If the engraving lands at just the intersection of MDF and maple the grain of the maple might be showing up. I usually use a high lpi to avoid those lines.

1 Like

No, you’d struggle to get Proofgrade anyway.

It’s been seen as an issue before, the problem is support won’t help unless it’s on Proofgrade.

There’s been some discussion, the best theory is a mismatch between the image resolution and the print LPI. That’s why, if you can replicate on a sample of PG material, you can open a ticket and include you file sample to get them to look into it further. So far, there’s been no definitive answer.

Hate to be polluting your gallery post with this… :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I’d be curious if you ran even just one of the bottom ones above the top set - I’d bet that’d confirm it’s a material issue along that bottom edge

But all that aside, that’s lovely! Especially the two ends on that top row. The depth and clarity is gorgeous :heart:

1 Like

Thanks! I actually did try switching the two rows for my next attempt, but the same 6 tiles got the same line issue. I’ve got no idea what to make of it, since file-wise all 12 images should be the same in quality, size, resolution, etc. But I got the third batch to come out alright so all is well. Enjoy more pics in the updated post! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like