3D/Greyscale Engraving

Bump. Hoping to hear some news about the 3d engraving? Is it working yet?

2 Likes

Itā€™s been working for months, but the UI hasnā€™t been added yet so all we have to show for it are some checkerboards of different depths that arenā€™t really worth showing off. It hasnā€™t been as high a priority as some of the more urgent features for beta users like wifi setup (which was previously monstrous, but is now very slick).

18 Likes

HI, bringing this thread to life.

I am searching for the best workflow from an autodesk inventor 3d part to a 3d engraving file format usable in the glowforge. @takitus already gave me some asdives and help for stacked cutting with 123D Make, but it is not an option for what I have in mind. I am exploring Autodesk Inventor HSM Express, which is made for milling machine (not exactly what we need). Is there other option? Something to transform 3D object in grayscale?

I want to familarize myself with the software before the GF arrives.

I have not found a great workflow to create heightmaps - hopefully people here will have suggestions!

Hereā€™s a link to a tutorial:
http://bucketomac.de/stereogram/howto-create-depth-maps/

12 Likes

I tried it when you linked it before, and it works great!

Oh also there is a tutorial above for doing the same in zbrush

1 Like

I tried this as well with great success with SolidWorks. Here is what I found to be helpful with the l link @takitus postedā€¦itā€™s listed in another topic.

1 Like