3D Printed Rounded Corner Box

Thanks, I do like the full laser from a simplicity aspect, but not a fan of the banding effect of the individual pieces.

3 Likes

Glad to hear that it gave you some ideas. Looking forward to seeing your completed project.

1 Like

if you line up/sand something like that well and do it with hardwood, the banding will be much more subtle (depending on the wood). i’ve done multi-layer with walnut and it’s not immediately obvious.

4 Likes

These 3d printed corners are cool.

For example:

And for a pure laser different solution:

7 Likes

Yeah, you either have to paint over it or lean all the way in, as @evansd2 so nicely illustrated.

2 Likes

You can also cover it…

2 Likes

My thing with layers is I am a messy gluer and even with alignment pins, it’s a mess. Maybe if I did more of them it would go faster.

5 Likes

just means more sanding (and more sandpaper).

4 Likes

I often use a small paintbrush to apply glue to my layers, and wipe whatever small squeeze-out up as I go. Some of my sword handles have 90+ layers, you use only as much glue as you need, and there’s not a ton to clean as you go.

5 Likes

That’s beautiful - and the transparency of the edges of the 3D printed corners almost makes it look like you carefully poured resin into each corner and let it settle!

2 Likes

Can’t help but laugh…my instant read of that word was lawyers. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

That last one was the first thought that came to my mind. That only works with hardwood, not plywood, right? (I think so but only feeling about 90% sure. lol)

I’ve done it with MDF, so plywood should work. The trick is finding the right depth and spacing for the bend cuts.

2 Likes

I bet it would work with wood-core ply like BB. The tricky part is the water method for softening the wood - most plywoods don’t react well to water, especially mdf core (like proofgrade).

Prefinished woods won’t like it either.
(like proofgrade)

1 Like

Or half living hinge… :skull:

5 Likes

Oooo, I really like this. I’m always up for anything that replaces finger joint, of which I’m not a fan. Thanks for the STL.

1 Like

Looks great. I may need a 3d printer :rofl:

1 Like

Maybe with some wood based filament!

5 Likes

I’ll try it with CFP purebond! I have so many things going on. I’m going to have to start planning out my time better. lol

2 Likes

How cool is that!

2 Likes