4.25"x5.5" Small Notebook Template

The zip file has 2 svg’s. The first one has the notebook template that will provide a bit of overhang on the paper inside. This one is 5.6 inches high, so stacking them to maximize the cut area isn’t possible, and you can only cut 7 notebook covers on a single sheet of :proofgrade: plywood. The second file, has 8 covers, but the height is ~5.4", so you will get a cover that is a tad bit shy of a half of sheet of paper in height. So, you can cut the paper for the inside shorter, or have a cover that isn’t quite as tall as the paper inside. Choose wisely. Add your design to a new layer, and you’re ready to go. These use 9/16" - 3:1 pitch bindings, and having a binding machine makes things much easier, but not required.

# 9/16-Inch 3:1 Twin Loop Binding Wires - EW32L0916 - Durable - 3:1 Pitch (3 holes/inch) - 11 Inches Long - Pre-Sized to Fit Letter-Sized Paper - Compatible with 3:1 Wire Binding Machines - 100 per Box

4.25x5.5-Notebook-Templates.zip (3.1 KB)

Example of the 5.6" height notebook:

42 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! Great project.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this! It looks great!

For those who have plastic coil binders, don’t forget the template that exists for those: Free Laser Design | Journal Cover.

2 Likes

Thank you. This is relevant to my interests. Can anyone recommend a value-priced binding machine?

Edit to add: that is a nice looking wood, what is it?

1 Like

Unfortunately, no. I’m lucky to have stumbled on one at work, theirs is a Fellows brand. The wood is proofgrade Cherry.

Thank you for sharing your work!

1 Like

Thanks, that helps.

One last dummy question for you or any other notebook maker: how does the paper work? Are there pre-set sizes? Does it come punched, or does the binding machine do it?

The Binding machine also cuts the holes in the paper, so that allows you to put whatever colors want on the inside.the first you know books that I did I just replace the covers that were on existing notebooks so I didn’t need to punch the paper, but now that I have access to one of these machines I’ve been adding different types of paper to the insides like grid paper or colors.

1 Like

Thanks. If it is convenient, can you post the model Fellowes machine you used?

I have begun to take a quick tour of binding machines and if I understand what I have read, it seems that the ability to bind less than a standard-sized coil is not universal. You’ve clearly cut down the 11" 3:1 coil, right? So, having a reference to one specific machine that can do a compact notebook as you have made will help me figure out what machine may meet my needs.

It’s a Fellowes Quasar Wire. I think that this specific machine that we use is limited to a maximum of 9/16" binding wire. For the half-height notebooks, I just used a wire snips and cut the coils in half. (16 prongs)

Paper slicer, just because it’s awesome!

7 Likes

Perfect, thanks. I had read up on that Quasar and, by the book, it says you can’t make odd-size bindings because it doesn’t have individually addressable dies… But the book didn’t point out you can just cut the wire. :slight_smile:

This is quite a rabbit hole! Fun toys. Thanks again.

3 Likes

so here’s the rub with what they’re trying to say.

yes, you can create a shorter book and just punch that, even though there more holes where no paper is. that works fine on any punch.

what they mean by “individually addressable dies” is that you can’t remove the individual hole punches to leave gaps where there are no holes. because when you can do that, you can do things like this:

6 Likes