40w - 45w

If, say, a year from $DeliveryDate, I decide my Basic 40W isn’t enough laser for me, and I order a 45W replacement for it, would that work? Would the software recognize that’s what I’ve got now and take advantage of the increased power available? I’m not looking to see some sort of upgrade kit to bring it to a Pro (although that would certainly be nice), but if I just replaced my 40W with the 45W. Call it… Basic+.

6 Likes

I believe the way that you get more laser wattage out of the tubes is with additional length, so the cradle for the 40w tube won’t be able to fit the 45w tube. There’s probably a long list of other reasons that you won’t be able to just drop in a more powerful tube but that’s the one I know off hand. A lot of this was disused here: Suggestion: PRO SAFE and BASIC PLUS

5 Likes

From what I understand, the 45W rating is also the result of a better cooling system, upgraded optics, possibly an uprated power supply…

So even if the fit were the same, you’d need to swap out a bit more than the tube…

6 Likes

Thanks. But I think I need a staff answer on this one. I mean, by that time I’ll be well out of warranty and I can adjust the cradle myself if that’s the issue. So maybe I should adjust my question…

If I can physically fit the 45w tube where my 40w was, will the software recognize that’s what I’ve got now and take advantage of the increased power available?

Totally fair, I’m curious to see what the official answer is as well

I would be curious what speed/depth increases a 5w difference really nets you.

1 Like

This idea is in the hopper.

Any update on this @dan?

1 Like

Thanks for that refresher! Now that I see it, I recall reading that post a while back. I think I’ve read every single post and until I can pull a Keanu and install more memory (in my head) some things tend to… fall off.

Still, it seems like @Dan thinks it’s possible. (Some assembly required.) But I very much doubt they’ve had time to further consider such things. I’ll look forward to an upgrade kit in 2018.

5 Likes

Correct, it’s in the hopper. :slight_smile:

1 Like