50$ a month for premium?

Bigger on the inside.

1 Like

I passed on the premium upgrade, and I don’t feel like I’ve been cheated or that I’m missing out. By using freely available tools (CAD/CAM, GIMP, Inkscape, etc), I can create most anything I want.

8 Likes

I appreciate you starting off this thread and fully understand all the likes your post generated for this “non issue?”

What Wilson Said…

1 Like

I don’t know what you’re talking about, my gas bill was like 75 dollars last month, and I’m still freezing!! And with my space heater to heat the bedroom, because my rental only comes with one of those clunky single room wall heaters, my electric bill jumped up 120 dollars over the previous month’s bill too…and I’m still cold…I’m wearing my winter coat right now and it goes almost to my feet. :rofl: :rofl: FYI, I feel cold no matter what time of year it is, except in the summer when it’s 115 degrees…then it’s too hot :rofl:

3 Likes

I find the older I get the colder I get and the more heat tolerant I am

2 Likes

I’m the opposite, used to always be cold, but now I’m almost always too warm.

Totally pointless new car analogy here because that seems to be the thing in this thread :thinking:

On a typical two-lane highway all traffic goes the same speed and there is only one lane that isn’t referred to by any name other than “Hey, #$@&%*! get out of my way already”. Now, if that highway were replaced with a four-lane one the innermost lanes are generally referred to as the “fast lane” and the outer lanes as the “slow lane”. What I am saying is that while GlowForge isn’t putting any of us in the slow lane they did, however, build a new fast lane and unlike the highway, you must pay to enter it.

p.s. I pay $80 a month to heat/cool my place which is over 2000 sq/ft, in the midwest (humid summers, frigid winters), and has two furnaces due to poorly planned 70s remodeling. $50 sounds like a reasonable amount to heat a reasonable home.

Anyway, I felt like adding to the noise of this thread as it’s beginning to remind me of Twitter. :fire:

3 Likes

My house is 750 Sq feet including the garage. :rofl::rofl:. So I feel like I’m paying an unreasonable amount to heat it, especially now that I know you’re paying 80 a month for cold winters :rofl::rofl:. My coldest night so far is like 40 degrees.

1 Like

Whaaat? Do you all sleep in the car?

3 Likes

it’s funny, 750 used to not be that tiny. my house is a typical 1950s 3BR house. when it was built, it was 1000sf footprint and it was not one of the smaller houses in this neighborhood.

3 Likes

Feels like it. Spend more time in there than the house :rofl::rofl:. FYI, our 2 bedroom apartment in NJ was 500 square feet. I wouldn’t know what to do with myself if I actually had more space :rofl::rofl:. We had a bigger place before this, but years of the same salary and paying the same rent as prices skyrocketed around us made finding a place a huge challenge when our last landlord decided to sell. Plus we have a dog and cat, so our options were limited. You might be shocked at how much we pay for this space too. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

If you could keep the same income and move to Texas you could probably live in a mansion. Or at least something that would FEEL like one, after those tiny places! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, we’ve been discussing it. If we had known my husband would be working from home for this long, we would’ve moved instead of re-signing the lease in June last year.

I don’t know how long they plan on keeping the work from home going, but I hope it’s indefinitely. With the amount we pay in rent a year here, I could buy a house in cash in my husband’s hometown.

We also discussed possible moves to Austin, TX or Oregon. But right now he’s ready to go back to Japan and since I’ve been trying to move there for years, I’m not going to offer an alternative :rofl::rofl:

Thursday he learned that some of his coworkers, the ones who work in the warehouse and still have to go in to the office, three of them tested positive for covid. Likely someone brought it in from the holidays.

One of the guys who has it is a friend of my husband’s. He’s young, 38, and seemingly healthy, except that he’s a smoker. Unfortunately, he’s in the worst condition right now; they don’t know if he’ll make it, and the hospitals around here told his family there are no beds. That was the last news we heard yesterday; it all went downhill quick in the last couple of days.

2 Likes

ATX real estate has been just as expensive, and sometimes more so, than Los Angeles for a few years now unless you want to be in the far outskirts. :cry:

But don’t move here, or that will keep on rising… :wink:

2 Likes

That totally tracks considering TX has no state income tax :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Gas is practically free. Groceries at HEB were generally cheaper but shopping at Central Market or Whole Foods would cancel that out. Of course I spent a bigger fortune on BBQ in ATX than I ever could in CA :yum:

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t want to move there, I’m not a fan of the rest of the state, no offense. I ONLY like Austin.

But I know a ton of people who have moved there in the last year from CA. I imagine that it’s easy to do when you sell your normal house for 800k-1million. My neighbor sold her tiny house in front of me for 600k, and this is not the greatest place in the world. They bought an RV, and traveled the country while homeschooling their kids to see where they liked best. They bought a house near Austin; guess who doesn’t have a mortgage? :rofl: I heard a lot of people from Oregon complaining about the exact same thing up there when people from CA move.

When I moved here 10 years ago from NYC, I thought CA was so cheap (compared to NY), but in the last few years, NYC is looking cheap compared to here…

2 Likes

One of my friends from CA sold their house here. They lived in a nice neighborhood, but it was HOA and not a lot of space for them. They sold for 1 million, then bought a serious mansion in Vermont for less and moved there. Their new house is like its own city. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

The cheapoldhouses Instagram always makes me laugh/cry.

2 Likes