50$ a month for premium?

The only people paying $50/month are rich enough not to care, or careless enough not have noticed any of the sales. The majority of folks are paying closer to $200/year to Cricut’s $100 - and Cricut is an 18 year old Nasdaq traded company with ~650 employees, while :glowforge: didn’t exist 7 years ago.

So which are you?

16 Likes

We went to renew our “Premium” subscription last night and was shocked that the previous $14.99 charge was now either $50/month or $239/year. Being on a fixed income and having a relatively small business model and few customers at this time makes having the Glowforge rather untenable along with fighting with poor app consistency issues (moving designs after hitting print, despite calibrating and using set focus, inability to reliably use the pass-through because of aforementioned inconsistencies in design placement after hitting print). We’ve followed all the guides, sent in our logs and have been told our Glowforge is operating “within specs”. We’ve wasted a lot of material and have an abundance of “oopsie products” that are either off center, misaligned or have other “print” issues. And of course the reliance on an internet based apps really hurts when the local cable provider spends more time with outages than uptime. There are days when we can’t do ANYTHING with the glowforge because of that. IT has been frustrating to say the least. SO, last night we made the decision to put our Glowforge up for sale, try to recoup some of our costs and have found another machine with some better specs and uses a LOCAL application for design creation and processing. AND it costs quite a bit less than the Glowforge with a few more features, has good reviews and comes from a company with good ratings and support. I guess this is a live and learn situation, the Glowforge was appealing has done a “decent” enough job to date but the rising costs versus failure rate just doesn’t make it worth it for us anymore. AND there is the issue of not being able to use the top 2 inches or so of our material because it will not show up inside of the app’s “design area”. And with the again aforementioned imaging inconsistencies we can’t reliably print part of the design, move the material and finish the design. That always ends in failure.

Unfortunately the reliance on “cloud based” apps and features along with increasing demands on bandwidth, rising ISP costs and constant “network upgrades” means we spend quite a bit of time unable to function and have a lot of dead air time.

3 Likes

If you sign up for a special discount price for Premium, that price continues to apply as long as your subscription doesn’t lapse. If the signup software doesn’t recognize it, a simple email to Support will fix the problem.

5 Likes

In there lies the problem, we had to lapse for 30 days due to budget constraints and some a–wipe creating google ads on my account and taking me for a grand. Of course there is NO way to contact google other than a webform and after sending nearly a hundred of them to resolve the issue the bank had to get involved. Even THEY couldn’t contact or get a response from google so they credited us back the money. Of course not after the damage was already done.

So yea, insult to injury. And I believe it is a shady practice to bait and switch like that.

Yes, I’m a bit burned by Glowforge lately and pretty much every company out there since this crap covid BS. Honesty and Customer Service is a thing of the past. All about the almighty dollar and how they can monetize your information and habits.

/rant

1 Like

I’m not sure how that applies to Glowforge, but whatever. Did you try contacting Glowforge support to let them know why you lapsed, to see if they would reinstate you at your previous price?

7 Likes

If you are sure you want to sell and go a different direction, I wish you good luck.

4 Likes

Give the GF people a chance. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If they say no, you are no worse off. When people have gone to them in a professional and courteous manner, I have seen them help them out. Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face until you try.

4 Likes

Go on… tell us what machine you got! I’d love to be free of the shackles of the web app and the nickel-and-diming of new features too - and maybe get a user swappable tube as a bonus.

1 Like

Bought a Mira Aeon laser myself. Hardest part was finding Anyone that would buy this Glowforge. Do know they make it More then painful for both buyer and seller. New machine cuts 10 times faster and no further premium costs to own and be productive. What a costly learning lesson! And this is crazy but they actually have a PHONE number you call for support! Crazy idea. I don’t have to rely on a forum or email hope to work. Just an amazing concept for support!

As someone who has owned several different brands out there, I’d have to see that to believe the 10x cutting claim.

4 Likes

At 1200 mm/second not hard to calculate. Consider watching a performance video it’s night and day.

So you mean engraving, not cutting. :+1:

1 Like

Yes engraving but technically both depending on how you view throughput. With the GF you load a job, wait…, upload to printer, wait…, focus, wait…process, then start the wait again. With the Aeon we can load ALL of the jobs for the day and run them easily twice as fast as there is no “cloud” delay to simply cut a part. This becomes a massive issue if you are only running one part at a time. The upload wait time is often longer than the laser On time (productive) and especially annoying when its the Same part. Maybe it would be faster with the “Premium” cloud? lol

OMG, are you still here complaining about stuff? :smile: The time you spend here chirping about stuff you don’t like is way more than any time it takes me to run my GF. (And nice way to be totally misleading when bragging about the new machine, but I hope it works out for you.)

7 Likes

:clap:t3: :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Sooo sorry my answering a Question hurt your feelings so badly. Are answers that mesh only with your belief not misguided? Facts can be confusing when you only see one view totally understand. Don’t need to convince you nor would I care if they did honestly. A community forum is not always about sharing happy praise sometimes it can be comparative failure. Hopefully to guide perspective buyers to alternate solutions and not fall for sunshine and lollipop false expectations.

No but I’m pretty sure that was in the GF owners manual? Thanks for being so considerate.

I loved the premium features but $50 a month a little outrageous… I was okay with $15 but 50??

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. You might check to see if they are still offering the annual subscription rate.

1 Like

I guess the obvious question is…if you no longer own a Glowforge, why are you still here posting about how bad it is? Seems odd.

3 Likes