50 Year Old Models / Train Set

This is what I bought the laser for. Models for a train set.

My grandfather used to make these little structures back in the 70’s. I’ve had one sense I was a young boy and received four more last year upon my mothers passing. I don’t ever remember him having a train set but noticed they were all about HO Scale (1:87). So I thought I would try to build a set around them. I built a few models with a CNC router table but that was a chore at best. I had wanted a laser for 10 years and decided “now was the time”. I’ve had a blast making all these little things and look forward to making more. I just moved the whole thing from home to work and wanted to share some new pics…

Here is a link to a short vid of the whole thing before I moved it.

80 Likes

I could just dawdle in the details all night long. Really great photos, love that treehouse. The last photo is perfect!

11 Likes

How on earth are people so good at stuff?! So jealous, this is all just great.

I’m not a fan of replies that are just “wow, good job” but sometimes you just gotta recognize when something is this outstanding.

18 Likes

These are awesome! A couple times I had to remind myself they are miniatures!

Thanks so much for sharing your story and creations with us!

10 Likes

Not only are these builds fantastic, I love that they are the result of things your grandfather had. You don’t remember that he had a train, but now his affection for these models lives on in your work. Your set for your nephew is still one of my absolute favorite Glowforge projects of all time. I think your grandfather would be really happy at how many people get to enjoy your models.

11 Likes

Spectacular and I love the story. What a wonderful gift to continue to pass on!

8 Likes

Wow, as a lover of all things model railroad, you are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

7 Likes

These are so awesome. You are quite talented.

5 Likes

Beautiful stuff, I’m a big fan of your work!

4 Likes

Model railroaders seem to have a high-proportion of model maker masters. I’m continually blown away by some of the model railroad layouts I’ve seen. The tools have changed for some of the building but the attention to detail and artistic rendering of scenery seems to be a constant. I’ve seen some of the same results from the folks who really dive deep into D&D, Warhammer, etc. But model railroaders connect better for me due to the realism that I can relate to more.

7 Likes

Amazing!! Love all the details!

5 Likes

It is a masterpiece! Love a good model railroad.

7 Likes

amazeballs!

5 Likes

Your details are always spectacular, top notch. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

3 Likes

Holy smokes that is nice! What is the square footage of that layout?

5 Likes

Pure artwork! Thank you for sharing

4 Likes

That is just amazing.

if you ever need train stuff look up Roundhouse Trains in Louisville KY. My friend Kevin Cook owns the place. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

All I can say is WOW! So very, very impressed.

4 Likes

You did an excellent job with the video. I also watched the Halloween video. I was hoping to see dancing ghosts in a saloon. Also the music for the Halloween video was perfect.

3 Likes

I want to live in that charming little town.

6 Likes