6' X 6'8" Folding screen, double-sided

I have been wanting to create a folding screen for quite some time. This is 8 panels total, a left and a right for each panel, sandwiched with a cotton cloth in between and finished. The lettering was scored into the panels as well and then letters cut, painted and glued carefully within the score lines.
This was a tedious project and not without some ‘minor’ hiccups. But, overall it turned out quite well, particularly considering that very cheap .217 underlayment was used for the material.

90 Likes

That is gorgeous! :star_struck:

6 Likes

Stunning piece of work. Lovely to see something large made from the GF

10 Likes

Did you see the “Stargate” I made for the office lobby? It’s 10 FEET in diameter.

4 Likes

Yes I did, though that one was obviously more sectional. But TBH for both I’m really impressed that you are going for it.

I want to do the same thing, but still haven’t got there yet, so also a bit jealous!

2 Likes

There are some little tricks. If using darker material, be sure to put a piece of light (green?) painters tape at the TOP of the cut, (about where the laser head rests, from left to right. Use 2" wide tape. The cameras can see the cuts much better. I put a 3" mark on my crumb tray, up from the “bottom” so I know not to pull the previous cut down further than that. (It struggles a LOT if you pull the cut beyond that mark) Make sure it’s FLAT material you’re using, warped material confuses the GF in understanding where the cuts are located. (It uses the lid camera, but mostly the teo cameras located in the print head.) BE PATIENT in waiting for instructions, and dont be afraid to use “RETRY” if it has trouble aligning the first time. — Be sure to support your material on both ends if it is ‘long’ and don’t remove cutouts from anywhere near the top of the print when pulling material forward, the cameras are relying on the laser cuts to look the ;same;… I hope this helps.

15 Likes

Great job just awesome.

3 Likes

Awesome!

5 Likes

That is awesome!

2 Likes

Here as well, but it was not as nice as this piece is :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Awesome project!

This is incredible! It came out beautiful, nice work!

3 Likes

Great Job!

That is beautiful. The flow of the branches of the tree is mesmerizing :heart:

3 Likes

Truly outstanding!

1 Like

Gosh, this is one of the nicest pieces I’ve seen in a long time, and I think it’s my new favorite passthrough project.

7 Likes

Thank you. I learned a lot through this project and now I use the pass through quite frequently.

this is faux leaded glass frames I printed yesterday

20 Likes

Wow, that’s impressive!

3 Likes

Hmmmm… I have a Hawk scroll saw, that I bought the glass cutting blades for cutting stained glass.

Looks like I might have just the thing to apply it too!

1 Like

Wish I could give this more and bigger likes!! It’s gorgeous. I love trees.

I always wanted a screen, have never had a space for one. Yours is perfect!

Love that you shared your passthrough tips. Those are the exact things that make passthrough projects easy to accomplish.

4 Likes