A custom flat file storage build for Glowforge Materials

This was done by hand and CNC so it gets put into “Everything Else” but its going to house my ever growing collection of materials for the Glowforge and I thought it might be of interest.

The overall build is 30 by 30 by 15 deep. Each drawer has about 26 by 13 by 2.5 inches of space. There are 10 pairs of 100 lb rated drawer slides and some snazzy antique label frame pull hardware. Seen here with human for scale:

The drawer fronts are a heavily figured cherry finished with Danish oil. It’s really got some insane grain to it.

And now I have to take all the drawers back out so I can lug it upstairs to it’s final resting spot… Maybe tomorrow.

In the meantime… a few assembly shots for people who are into that kind of thing:

69 Likes

It’s Beautiful

2 Likes

jeez that figuring… i don’t think i’ve ever seen cherry that nice. it’s beautiful.

5 Likes

Such a nice cabinet - and that wood!

2 Likes

That is so way better than what I did… I got Lowe’s to cut me some shelves out of the cheapest plywood they had, and made shelves in the closet of my office where the laser is. And Lowe’s being Lowe’s, not all of them are cut correctly so some of them are teetering precariously on shelf pins. But your solution is so much prettier and more sturdy!

2 Likes

Incredibly beautiful. That wood grain is amazing.

3 Likes

Wow, that is fantastic. Great choice of wood.

2 Likes

Dang those are some sexy drawer fronts :slight_smile: great project

3 Likes

Looks fantastically useful!

2 Likes

Nice attention to detail there. Those drawer fronts that are butterfly cuts are killer. Woodgrain is nature’s art, great storage solution. That is excellent work man.

4 Likes

Terrific! The wood is beautiful and the piece is executed well! Great job!

2 Likes

That is really beautiful. And thanks for sharing the build photos.

3 Likes

Outstanding results. Jealous!!

3 Likes

Really nicely done!

2 Likes

As a fellow woodworker, I have to say kudos. The choice of wood is fantastic. Love the figure. What I really appreciate is the way you cut the wood so the grain remains intact. Looks like you used two boards or one long one cut in half and then lined up. Love it. What did you cut the finger joints with? A jig or by hand?

1 Like

Thanks @djfb The drawer fronts are from a single 1 inch thick Cherry board resawed to 3 slices at about 3/8 each on the bandsaw. I tried to mirror the grain as best I could, but one end was super dark. The finger joints where done on CNC using a jig I built that holds the panels to the front of the machine (like the store bought dovetail jigs usually do)

I have done lots of hand cut fingers and dovetails, but these days I lack the patience. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Beautiful and practical build! Thanks for sharing the finished and build photos!

1 Like

Oh gosh, I want that! It’s so beautiful you could decorate a room around it. Can you imagine a whole craft room completely furnished like that? A girl can dream…

3 Likes

What a beautiful job on a beautiful piece. You deserve to be very proud of that cabinet.

1 Like

Wow that must of taken a long time to make looks awesome nice job

1 Like