A different sort of top

After this post…
Anyone else having trouble getting to boxes.py? - #31 by rbtdanforth.
I got to thinking about alternative ways to do lids. I had been really annoyed that we cannot cut on the side of the wood like on the top and bottom but I realized that drills and saws still can and though this box would not have a slanted top, the slanted top could be done in the same manner.

While thinking along those lines I realized that a sliding top would work for that as well. As I have a lot of three inch wide wood I designed to use that.

In both cases I made two sides high that the lid would fit between in one case for the bamboo hinge and the other to hold son to the ears of the slide.

I also added a touch of engraving from the web for interest.

You can see were I drilled an eighth inch hole through each side and a half inch into the lid and then glued a bit of bamboo skewer to the sides and let it float so it will remove easier should there be a reason.

30 Likes

Wow, incredible! We will have to call you a Box King!

2 Likes

The lids look fab. (I’ve been playing with the 3D too.)

2 Likes

Pictures? :grin:

:smile: here: 3D Engraving Improvements

2 Likes

Here is an update on the final look at those boxes.

11 Likes

What a fantastic engrave!

2 Likes

Gorgeous… are you using a Pro or a Basic?

1 Like

Yes a Pro., No Snapmarks yet and a lame exhaust system being hauled along by external exhaust and blue whale scavenging the considerable overflow when the smoke gets heavy.

I use the passthrough a lot but not for these.

These are great!

1 Like

how do you do that groove for the slide on top! Regular wood working tools?

I could and should have made it an engrave but things did not work out as predicted and what was supposed to be a simple dovetail angle changed a lot as the wood got wetter and dryer. in the end, I ran a hand saw across it and sanded till a thing of 0 .1 birch ply slid properly and then glued the top on that.

2 Likes