A funny thing happened on the way to the forum

Excuse the title, it just popped into my head whilst reading an old thread.

It has just occurred to me that this forum, now that the ructions over the recent announcement have calmed down, is possibly the most positive and upbeat that it’s ever been.
It is a little quieter (or that’s maybe a misperception on my part), but everyone seems to have picked themselves up nicely and come back more motivated and excited than they have been since…ever.
Well done all of you!

27 Likes

Yesirree…I’m finding it a very cool place to hang out now. :relaxed:

8 Likes

Not sure if

or

14 Likes

Yes to both! :relaxed:

3 Likes

Accurate assessment I think.
Yes, we are motivated by our lust for the machine, but I think most of those who picked our hopes up of the ground have our expctations tempered by real world experience.

Scratching around on earth long enough to have had our hopes dashed repeatedly, or have our carefully laid plans go sideways - gives a perspective that you only get by crawling from that wreckage.
If one hasn’t been sufficiently indoctrinated, a harsh disappointment is a lesson that is tough to swallow, especially considering the instant gratification many expect nowadays.

There were a few who were forced to reexamine their position under pressure of finances, but parted with regret and extended best hopes and wishes for the rest of us.

Those of us that remain are firm believers in this project, and I think that is reflected in the substance of the forum - but it is the character of the members that makes this place the positive experience it is.

I echo your sentiments, glad to be a member.

9 Likes

It’s too bad this forum software isn’t set up to incorporate user signature lines.

My usual signature line has the following quote:

In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever, “When everyone is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking.”

But here, I’d opt for:

In the immortal words of the Oracle, “Here, take a cookie. I promise, by the time you’re done eating it, you’ll feel right as rain.”

:grin:

8 Likes

Slightly different tack, but it was kind of funny, and I saw it on the way to the forum, so…
Those outside our happy and positive group are still decidedly negative on all things Glowforge, as I discovered when looking at my Facebook feed this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153642626583481&set=gm.671248926340127&type=3

The most negative comments are also highly uninformed. The only one that has me wondering is the one that stated - as if he knows with certainty - that its illegal all over the world to house a 40 watt laser in a plastic box. I am pretty sure that the GF team would have verified that their whole design path was valid before they spent tons of time and money taking that route, but would like to hear their side of the story too. @dan?

4 Likes

Ha, that reminds me of this quote from the first Dresden Files book, Storm Front.

“Paranoid? Probably. But just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean there isn’t an invisible demon about to eat your face.”

6 Likes

Does anyone remember this, “Will the real Mr. Glowforge step forward”?

4 Likes

I’m not old enough to remember when it aired… but since Hunter was on the show, I think I know…

5 Likes

Not only is this forum filled with smart, friendly, interesting people, but it also has the highest signal-to-noise ratio of any forum I’ve ever seen, by far. It’s pretty amazing!

7 Likes

I’ll second that, it is actually worth my TVM to be here.

2 Likes

When you have a machine that can inspire all walks of artist and DIYers who may have little to no CNC experience, bring them to get in one place, and have no teen trolls, it makes for a comfy place to put your feet up.

8 Likes

I was thinking the same kinds of things to myself today. Waves have died down a bit, it is harder to use up all my likes than it was a couple weeks ago because there’s a bit less volume.

It’s really pleasant to be here, to see ideas, to discuss tactics and materials and all. I rather like this forum. Thanks y’all for making it nice here.

4 Likes

Don’t believe it was any one of them, they were all “sober and upright”, I’m not going to spoil my image of Hunter S. Thompson by watching the end.

1 Like

I figure I’ll get it when I get it…never really expected it would be by 6/30 anyway.

I can’t prove a negative, but if someone has seen such a law, they’re ahead of us and our lawyers.

4 Likes

To the broader point of this post: yes. Hanging out here is delightful. (Also, always loved the show referenced in the post name).

7 Likes

I’m certainly old enough to remember the show. There was a time in life when I dreaded each coming birthday, now I relish them! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

5 Likes