A good engraving subject

I think this stamp would make for a great 3D engrave. @rbtdanforth, you busy? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would be far more impressed with Leonardo’s sketches as engraves but in general, I think stamps by their nature because they have to do a lot with little space might be a good source of inspiration. As to the star ribbon, color is the strongest design element and not so impressive in an actual 3D engraving. IMHO

I know that. It just seems like converting it to grayscale and working it could make it into a pretty reasonable approximation of a heightmap. That’s why I asked if you were busy, because I know it would take a little tweaking to get it ready to roll.

I’ll take that as a “yes, Dave, I’m busy”. :wink:

2 Likes

Not so much "Yes dave “im busy” would be answering you sometime tomorrow. :grin:

This would be more "not impressed with the design "

3 Likes

This is more what I have been looking at:

7 Likes

Welp if you want something done right…

On maple.

17 Likes

Wow, that came out nice!!!

I need to know, though – why is “forever” crossed out?

3 Likes

You’d have to ask the designer, I suppose.

It might be because it’s a reproduction, like how you have to alter currency if you reproduce it.

If you look at the usps.com site you’ll see its like that for all the stamps, its an effort to minimize the possibility of someone trying to make counterfeit postage stamps.

1 Like

At the risk of revealing my social deficits…is it crossed out on the real stamps?

I don’t mail stuff much…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

No, “FOREVER” is how they have in on first class stamps now. Once you buy them, they are good to use on a first class envelope forever.

1 Like

I guess I need to write someone a letter. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Definitely worth doing in my opinion! Really came out better than expected.

1 Like

Different than I was thinking, But crossing out forever might get some folks upset

See above. :wink: It’s apparently so you can’t use the reproduction as an actual stamp.

1 Like

I rather doubt folk would used the engraved wood in any case as it is enough different in size and color,

1 Like

I was thinking duodecahedron lamp shade anyway

Do not underestimate the power of stupid in large numbers of people.

Also, if it’s like currency, there are probably codified rules like I alluded to above.

See way previously for this and also some context as to how I understand how greyscale works with engraves :wink: :

3 Likes

Way cool! There was a time when banks printed their own currency and I think my sister still has some old bank notes from the Danforth Bank It would be interesting to have those as boxes,

3 Likes