A little "lagniappe"

Really like that version!! And love the name!!

1 Like

Awesome!

A hint for cleaning up the masking and dust - try acetone. I’ve had some really deep engraves literally curl when I used soap and water to clean them. Placing them under heavy weights to dry did not help. Scrubbing with acetone doesn’t affect the wood, I’ve heard that rubbing alcohol is safe too, maybe it just evaporates quickly enough that the water in the alcohol can’t affect the wood.

6 Likes

i suppose it depends on what %-age of iso it has; i was surprised that here 99% is readily available in most drug stores.

3 Likes

That looks awesome. Love the name

“Southern” BBQ? I need details, man. What regional sauces and specialties?

Living in the Pacific Northwest I don’t believe I have any regional BBQ, though we do grill up some good salmon. I culturally appropriate BBQ techniques from the rest of the Union…

4 Likes

Same here. Memphis, Texas, and some Alabama.

3 Likes

Superb !!

1 Like

Aw, then you haven’t met “The Man”

1 Like

Oh, I have met The Man a few times! I was fortunate to work right by that place years ago. I meant that there’s no PNW-specific “low and slow” BBQ tradition, not that we don’t have access to other regions’ BBQ. Texas has brisket with an oak wood fire, California has Santa Maria tri-tip, the Carolinas have pork shoulder with dueling mustard and vinegar sauces, etc etc. Gene’s stuff was what I would call Memphis style, I guess?

The Man was so hot it made my teeth hurt. He always carried around this little saucepan, all dinged up … That thing should be in a BBQ museum someday. I was happy to see it on the Wikipedia page.

4 Likes

If you ever come down to New Orleans, I’d recommend Blue Oak BBQ. Everyone talks up “The Joint” here, and it’s good, but I think Blue Oak is the best (currently).

5 Likes

I’m really digging the background pattern.

1 Like

get a bottle of EVERCLEAR from you local liquor store. pure alcohol, and you can have a sip while cleaning. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not sure you can buy that in Connecticut. We have “Blue Laws” that date back to the 1600s that affect liquor sales (and lots of mom & pop stores who argue any change will lead to road kill and loss of jobs). It was only a couple of years ago that you could buy liquor past 8pm (we can go all the way to 9pm now!) or on Sundays (noon-4 I believe).

You can buy beer in supermarkets but wine & spirits only come from liquor stores (and some very old grandfathered pharmacies). Everclear was prohibited altogether.

Come to New Orleans! :wink:

1 Like

yeah regrettably everclear isn’t sold in ontario, either (i’d already be buying it for various things if it were). but i do buy 151 on occasion for doing extractions and the like. it’d be a million dollars, anyway, haha.

Just added that to my to-do list. I visit NOLA about every month. (Mom needs some extra help down there these days, but it gives me an excuse to be a foodie.)

Current faves: Mandina’s (Best turtle soup, and I went on a quest to find it. Sorry Commanders, they blew you out of the water.), Cochon (who could imagine something called a “ham hock” could be so delicious? Also best gumbo with chocolate roux.), Shaya (delicious little bits the table can share).

Just learned about “Turkey and the Wolf” and can’t wait to check it out next month:

http://www.turkeyandthewolf.com/menu/

OMG @smcgathyfay “fried bologna”

happy hour:
$1 a deviled egg (fried chicken skin, fresh dill, our hot sauce)
$2 a shot of bourbon w/ a pickle back
$3 a real good taco (hog’s headcheese, jalapenos, shrettuce, sour cream, valentina, american cheese on migdalia’s handmade corn tortillas)

2 Likes

oh man why go anywhere else. that’s all my favorite things.

3 Likes

I think it was @PrintToLaser that recommended alcohol. I used some isopropyl alcohol on some engraves and I was really happy with the cleanup that did.

In any case, it looks like the dishsoap didn’t hurt this particular item. It looks fantastic.

2 Likes

A really good friend from high-school now has a pop-up down there, called Piece Of Meat Butchers. She is the only female butcher I know. If you happen to run across them, it’s probably worth your time to stop and put some smoked meat in your mouth hole.

4 Likes

Most of the BBQ places around oklahoma have this…its most excellent!!
Carl’s Jr even carried it for a bit on there breakfast offerings…lol

2 Likes