A Mandala of Light

6 by 6 by 3 inches deep Thick Acrylic layers, edge lite by 4 short LED strips and controlled by an Arduino.

Each row cycles through its own color set. I am still fiddling with that part to see what stands out best.

Might be more interesting if it moved between shades of a single color. Right now, it feels very purple.

Thoughts?

I also did another one with an aquarium theme. Unfortunately, I engraved with dots and not vary power, but as a concept, it’s pretty cool.

80 Likes

That is wicked awesome! I love the aquarium, but all the photos are amazing! The different colored scenes are just amazing.

8 Likes

Love it! makes me want to make one!

7 Likes

That mandala is gorgeous!

8 Likes

I like both of them. Looking at the aquarium, what if you painted the edges of the acrylic black? I think it would hide the colored edges and actually make the fish brighter. The mandala is awesome too.

9 Likes

Truly amazing!
The dot technique on the fish could be a lot brighter and less bubbly with a much higher LPI with the intensity down some on the darker end so the dots did not run together.

5 Likes

When I get some more acrylic I will give that a shot. Usually I like the look of the Vary Power, especially if you flip the acrylic after the engrave. The opposite side seems to have really nice detail.

5 Likes

I think I would like to make the interior of the frame black too.

4 Likes

I love these, such a great idea with the different colours. the mandala is completely mesmerizing and kind of reminds me of an infinity mirror - it has got me back thinking that I should make one of those now :slight_smile:

7 Likes

What great projects. The mandala is my favorite.

4 Likes

I would agree that the 3D of vary power looks best if the image supports it, though in either case a very high LPI is an amazing increase in the look, even when it takes hours to do. In many images the dark or light coloring is about shadows or like the angelfish’s stripes, about different shading of the image and looks funny as different depths. In those cases the dots make more sense.

3 Likes

I like them both!

3 Likes

I am designing one right now to be an infinity mirror. I just need to do something less dense than the Mandala. Still testing ideas.

5 Likes

These are amazing. I especially like the aquarium!!

4 Likes

Woah. That is such a great idea. So cool.

4 Likes

Neat! Love the aquarium. Layered LED art…another rabbit hole!

4 Likes

The mandala is beautiful!

3 Likes

I really love the aquarium. Have been debating adding a salt water one to our home but this might be better in the meantime :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Gasp! Stunning!

1 Like

Here’s a video of the color changes:

11 Likes