A new Zen old bottom new top

Having made the box bottom too big for the top I made another top, the waves were stronger in look but lost the watery look however the top was a bit big and was able to sand it down to fit tightly, the sides are engraved in a woven pattern that I very much like that was also used in the Greenman box.

this is the underside of the lid that I guess is not maple. If anyone knows what it is, please let us know.

40 Likes

Beautiful craftsmanship.

2 Likes

You are definitely a master of 3D engraving! I wouldn’t want to have to clean out your vent line though. :laughing:

4 Likes

This is a box that is most definitely not made of ticky-tacky!

4 Likes

Very intriguing box.

3 Likes

Nice work.

What are the final dimensions of the box? I bet it took a minute to do.

The bottom of the lid looks like (red?) oak to me. All the red oak I have has those telltale parallel “dashed” dark grain patterns. Is it hard enough that you think it could be oak?

4 Likes

It is hard enough. Harder? But definitely not oak. My impression was maple and the hardness is similar with very tight grain but individual very fine threads that make it very not maple but nowhere near as fibrous as white oak much less red oak that was recently pointed out to not be water tight unlike white oak.

Apparently cheap oak barrels where they were not careful to be all white oak would be a problem filled with alcohol as they would leak through the wood.

Looks like wood. :innocent:

8 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ok I deserve that

I was wondering about ermine maple as it is maple-like and white with the little black dashes like ermine tails. But what species of wood is like that? I do not know.

2 Likes

6.4" x 3" x 2.4 " the top is 0.35" the rest is .125 the bottom is Maple and the top is IDK. I have a batch of 1/8 and am thinking still it is a bit thin but the 1/4 " is a bit thick so may be trying the 3/16 when my backlog of wood gets a bit thinner.

And now the old zen fixed with new box bottom…

12 Likes

Beautiful! I like the top a LOT, but that basketweave effect is great, too!

3 Likes

Jules - you always make me laugh out loud! :joy:

2 Likes

The basket weave looks really nice, while the lid adds a lot of visual interest. Well done!

2 Likes