A repair made fun with my Glowforge

So, I bought a new workshop tool, a Shaper Origin. As I’m excited setting the whole thing up, what is one of the first things I do? Drill holes in my workbench for the Shaper Workstation Accessory… in the wrong place.

Oh shoot, now what? Wait. I just bought a new tool that can cut accurate holes and cut accurate plugs that will match perfectly. Ok that will be my first real project with my new toy CNC router. But now I start thinking, I can do better than “just a plug”, I have a laser, right? (here comes the, a made on a Glowforge part).

I’ve been seeing coaster projects with manhole covers from around the world posted… A tiny manhole cover might be nice. :slight_smile:

Use the Origin to make the hole and plug. Voila!

A little glue, and the hole is repaired in style.

Thank you, for taking the time to read about my silly little project.

56 Likes

I really like what you did. Very creative, but did you HAVE to pick the one that said sewer? :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

Thanks,

It’s a cut up old workbench I figured it deserved a “crappy” manhole cover :smiley: .

20 Likes

Not silly at all! I think this is marvelous. It’s fun AND practical. Not necessarily because you ‘need’ to…nor even because you want to…but, just because you can.

20 Likes

This! Embrace the power of And!

16 Likes

Okay, sorry you plowed a hole the wrong place right off but that is a great save! BTW, I just use clamps but I can see how some threaded inserts and bolts would be nice.

13 Likes

Yeah, I thought screws with threaded t-nuts would work well and I bought screws with 4mm Allen socket heads so I can use the provided hex wrench.

9 Likes

That was a great idea. Last week in the news I saw a story about man hole covers in the city of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. They have commissioned first nations artists to create new covers. They look pretty nice:

26 Likes

What a wonderful save!!

11 Likes

That’s excellent!

11 Likes

Nice fix

8 Likes

What a happy mistake! Beautiful!

6 Likes

Yes. He did.

6 Likes

9 Likes

I love when different tools get together to create something awesome! Thank you for sharing the laugh of your new manhole cover :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

10 Likes

I have it as one of my maker goals to use every smart tool I have on a single project one day. I have used as many as three, just never all four.

10 Likes

Love the repair! Now I’m wondering if you could somehow link that to exhaust…not :glowforge: exhaust, but that seems about the size of a vacuum hose!

8 Likes

I was actually thinking about creating a vacuum exhaust port but I would have to make it bigger. the actual “manhole cover” plug is only 1" in diameter.

8 Likes

That’s a pretty cool little project :slight_smile: A little shop conversation piece and a step up from the normal plain woodworking plug.

11 Likes

It may say sewer … but it would brighten my day every time I saw it!

12 Likes