A ring box in obsessive detail

ROFL! Well the story is superb…and your assistant is very witty. :smile:
Gorgeous results!

2 Likes

Nice technique there of stacking a hardwood. With the sanding and finish, it looks solid! Great documentation.

And I never saw a fingerprint heart before. Clever.

2 Likes

I cannot claim credit for that idea, but I can deliver.

2 Likes

OK - I laughed, I cried, I was inspired. Perhaps you should ask your cat if you need professional help with that obsessive stuff, but if you have loupes why wouldn’t you use them? Seriously beautiful box!

1 Like

Neighbors can be so fussy. I had one middle-aged schizophrenic patient who devoted his nighttime hours to vanquishing demons from the neighborhood with his toy light saber. The neighbors were astonishingly ungrateful for all his hard work keeping them safe. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, the box is lovely. I have a brand new belt sander, and am eyeing my stack of unidentified hardwoods!

5 Likes

Unless you are prepping the wood for the laser, belt may be too aggressive for such projects.

2 Likes

The cats long ago agreed that I needed professional help and should never be left unsupervised.

3 Likes

Thanx for the conformation, I did laugh at this though!

1 Like

I like your dedication, it turned out really nicely.

If you ever do another magnet-closed box, try cutting the holes with the laser to get a really good friction fit for your magnets. I’m not sure why it ended up being tedious, but if you do it with lasers it’s dead-on accurate and will give you much less guff. You simply add magnet holes to the two layers that will be facing each other.

2 Likes

I like the radiused corners. Gives it a much “softer” feeling. And the stacking of the hardwood. I’m not big fan of finger joints.

That wood is gorgeous. Wish I had a need/use for some.

Only thing I might look at differently in the future would be the fonts. But, I’m a font snob. Choosing fonts can often be the longest part of a lot of design jobs.

For the inscription with the date, nothing wrong with script, but I’d look at a heavier script, I think because the grain is so strong.

2 Likes

Yeah, picking fonts is often 90% of my design work.

1 Like

Really enjoyed your write-up! A great appreciation for all the in-progress photos! A beautiful finish!

I’ve got a fine grit belt on it – have been using it for finishing edges on my Baltic birch projects with great results, but yes, mostly for prepping. :slight_smile:

I fill the screen with various options until the words no longer look like words any more. Then I have to just give up and go do something else for a while. It’s HARD. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah. I have a current project where I have to go through mine to find fonts ‘like’ one that I have, but different.

1 Like

Just a reminder that this exists:

Preeeeviously:

3 Likes

+1 Super handy when I’m looking for something different. Have way too many fonts installed to click through the long dropdowns sometimes :slight_smile:

Adobe or Corel ought to embed it in their apps.

1 Like

Update. Box was very well received. Major comment on how beautiful it was and smooth as glass.

2 Likes

What a beautiful box and a wonderful :slight_smile: write up! I’m out of likes for today (i keep running out of them…)

Out of likes happens. I’m trying to do one in a much harder wood. No more for now (spoilers).