A shockingly good sign

I work on our Code-comittee at the hospital (the cardiac arrest committee). And we’ve been pushing a campaign to get the patient defibrillated within 2-minutes of the arrest per AHA ACLS guidelines. So I figured a lit sign would be cool. But I’ve done so many simply engraved signs, and yeah they’re cool but I wanted something new. So I decided I would cut the letters out of orange:proofgrade: and then cut the sign out of clear. But I wanted a bit of a glow around the letters, so did a score, just slightly larger than the cut out letters (I guess one Kerf’s width in this case. So if you look close there is a slight cool glowing outline of each letter (since the orange is not clear). Since that was going to require way more alignment than I could do by hand, I cut the sign out of draft board, as a template to place each letter. Worked perfectly…

67 Likes

Great effect! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Can you link to the base you used? Thanks!

1 Like

Very nice effect.

Pretty sure i ordered some box of them off e-bay (so yeah, they are made by and of Chinese orphans, and then coated with cadmium & lead just for a crunchy texture…)

10 Likes

Hey, that’s a cool variation on the standard lighted acrylic sign—love it!

3 Likes

Love that sign and the one on the wall. Made me laugh!

3 Likes

Really nice effect. Well done.

3 Likes

Would it have been easier to engrave a shallow “hole” for each letter and then a deeper score just beyond? I would think that it would get a better glow even. :thinking:

I have tried that, and discovered that it actually doesn’t work well for the welding part. The rough surface doesn’t glue as well as the shiny flat surface (and of course capillary action to pull the glue in doesn’t work in those little channels.

4 Likes

Pretty arresting sign!

2 Likes

Well hopefully, a de-arresting sign…

3 Likes

It should arrest the attention at least of those who should!

2 Likes

Ooo I’m glad I read this because I had something similar in mind, good to know that the roughed up surface doesn’t weld super well. You’ve saved me some effort. Thank you!

Awesome sign too! The score looks really neat around the letters.

3 Likes

What a great idea! I will be keeping this in mind for future acrylic light stuff.

3 Likes

A very pretty addressing design sign.

4 Likes

Also very hard to get it truly level to the surface I found.

3 Likes

What a great idea! Looks great!

Great sign! I need to check the AED’s in the commands. I guarantee no one has tested them :slight_smile: Let alone be retrained in how to use them…

2 Likes

The good news is all the modern AED’s have a loud booming voice that walks you through using them. Pretty foolproof. I’ve used them myself (even though I am both a physician and ACLS instructor) because when you are very shorthanded having the computer take over that part is awesome…

4 Likes