A suggestion regarding checking printtime

Hi! I’m running a small business with my GF, which (in my case) means I have to make quotations based on printtime. I almost always carry my laptop with me so I’m able to draw up a draft for a custom project, but at the moment I often cannot complete the quotation since I have no way of checking printtime when I’m not home (and thus the GF is off). It would be a great addition to me if it were possible to be able to get an estimated printtime when this is the case, so I can provide my customers with a quotation on the spot!

3 Likes

With a bit of research you can get the math for a rough guesstimate. At your standard LPI the width x depth of an engraving will be about the same if the engrave is just a couple vertical panels or if you are engraving the whole area and that will take the greatest amount of time, Otherwise, a linear distance for cuts or scores can be quite vague and still not be off a lot as the time is minor,

The much greater time to figure is in designing and finishing and for that Machine time is irrelevant.

1 Like

For me this is not always the case, I often have designs that have been made already by customers themselves, and I do the cleaning up and prepping. Some designs include many intricate scores and cuts, something that is hard to estimate the cutting time of. I could write a program which will calculate the length of all the lines for me, but since it is already possible to calculate the cutting time when the unit is on, it seems to me that the better option is just to make this available offline as wel. Also, this way many people can profit from it instead of just me or at best a very select group of people which use the exact same software as I do. I don’t how easy this is to implement in the current setup of the software and all, so I might be wrong here. But one doesn’t know if one doesn’t ask :slight_smile:

It’s a common ask, it’s likely been in “the hopper” (feature request list) for years.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll make sure the team gets them.

I’m going to close this thread now, please feel free to open a new topic or contact us directly at support@glowforge.com if you have any other questions or concerns.