A toast...to Glowforge!

The more I fire up Godzilla, the more I love this thing!

I just got done making about 40 stir sticks for a vacation rental home we own in Palm Springs. The atom on the bottom turned out to be a time suck as far as punching out tiny remaining pieces of acrylic, then CAREFULLY removing the masking from the near paper-thin atom itself. But I love how these turned out!

40 on a sheet of proofgrade acrylic
37min cut time
60min bits & pieces removal + masking removal

!

78 Likes

They are awesome! Oh, and I love the font you used, too.

1 Like

That caliper has a mm setting!

As a child of the 70’s we were taught both measurement systems, but until I started doing design work I never really “got it”. I find myself using metrics all the time for CAD and design, but I still use imperial for everything else, including cabinetry.
Remember- The countries in red use imperial measurements
DE9B05E9-9F31-4ED2-9EB7-C7A4E0E8D5C0
The countries in green use Metric
5006AD2D-20A7-40EB-B3A4-451D162BF31B

16 Likes

That’s amazing! What a sweet design too!

1 Like

Magnificent!

I haven’t tried this, but I wonder if cutting a double line, where one was slightly inset from the other, might make it easier for those acrylic pieces to drop out so you don’t have to poke them?

5 Likes

The kicker here is that caliper is called the Glowgeek! (Amazon)

5 Likes

That’s an interesting thought. I will have to give that a try when I run the next batch!

1 Like

That sounds awful close to how the self-healing acrylic works for doing multi-layer acrylic jobs. So it could backfire and weld the part back on. But they did defocus a little on the second pass to do healing cuts as I recall.

3 Likes

Very cool! You might want to give a test cut to see if you can get by without any masking. I’ve found I can remove acrylic masking for a lot of cuts with no ill effect. Might save you quite a bit of time.

1 Like

Those are soooooooooooo creative!!! Awesome job!

Those are a great idea. And came out awesome!

benmoriconiart.com
intagram @hard.form.design

They look amazing!

WOW

1 Like

For a very odd reason Germany uses “imperial” for plumbing and tire sizes. That was very confusing as a kid. Not sure if still true, but sure didn’t make sense until I was exposed to inches :smile:

1 Like

These look great–talk about a nice, clean design that’s just pure fun.