A Touch of Whimsy

Okay, I’m really tickled with how this one turned out, even though there really isn’t that much use for it aside from learning to do 3D designs in Illustrator. (The whole thing was created in Illustrator, and it’s fully functional, if a bit tight in spots from the finish treatments.)

This is a…I guess it’s a little trash bin for small things on top of the desk, or storage for business cards or something. You can drop stuff down the pull down mail slot at the top and empty the “mail” out of the drawer in front. Few tweaks left, but it worked pretty well.

This is all Proofgrade :proofgrade: Draft board and veneer - I knew I was going to paint it, and wanted to see how it did. (So nicely in fact that I almost didn’t paint it, but the veneer trim was cut out of different colors so I went ahead and finished everything).

Anyway, this one was just for fun. :grinning:

99 Likes

You are so clever and just cranking out this stuff. So after you have made all the things from sitting at your desk that you think of, imagine if you went out into the barn and started lasering all the things that came to your mind. Keep them coming. So original and thinking inside the box!

15 Likes

Oh man, the rivets totally make it! You have such clever ideas.

16 Likes

I need to rework this to be a stamp dispenser.

16 Likes

Oooh! It would make a cool stamp dispenser! (That might be next - it would be a lot quicker if I had bothered to parameterize it. Shoot!) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

10 Likes

Ohmygosh, this thing is adorable! I just love miniatures, especially functioning ones. I want one!

7 Likes

I’ll shoot you the files - you can test cut one. :wink:

(Well crap - the main file got corrupted. Gonna be a while before you see it :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:)

4 Likes

Very nice work.

I like to see people working to save endangered things.

6 Likes

i’m about 90% sure i bought the equivalent in kindergarten at one of those school events where kids buy presents for their parents. that one held stamps.

edit: by which i mean, i think it’s cute and totally giftable.

5 Likes

You just make the gol-darned cutest things!

5 Likes

wow! That is so cool Jules!

3 Likes

Thanks guys! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Lots of detail! Love it!

3 Likes

That is just toooooo cool!

1 Like

That is awesome! How did you do the little faux rivets around the seams/edges?
This would be a perfect paper clip bin!

2 Likes

Yeah, I LOVE that part too!

2 Likes

They are cut out of veneer and adhered onto little scored circles to show placement.

(Unmasking those is a challenge!) :smile:

2 Likes

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I bet that part was not easy. My eyes are crossing just thinking about it.

2 Likes

Thats adorable!! :smile:

2 Likes

That has to be my favorite thing you’ve made. :heart: I’m inspired

1 Like