A Touch of Whimsy

Don’t EVEN ask a sailor to pronounce this city especially in reference to the Virginia version. :scream:

1 Like

While in the military, ( Navy ) someone from there told me it was supposed to be properly pronounced.

I was told: The R and the L are silent and the O is very, dare I say it, EXTREMELY lazy. So if one said it a certain way, rolling off their tongue it could come out as something completely diff. Never really talked about that with anyone else, that story was told to me dare I say it, DECADES ago. Things have changed, I am sure, but the pronounciation…maybe it is a dialect thing, too.

2 Likes

Slightly different twang depending on if you are born on the Virginia or Maryland part of the Cheasapeake bay. But everyone pronounces it as you explained. Interestingly enough many in the area, including my father and brother, pronounce the other word, “folk”.

For some strange reason I didn’t end up with the same accent. Think it had to do with who we hung around.

2 Likes

We have some of those :slight_smile:

This Way St isn’t far from That Way St.

3 Likes

If I’m in the right place, don’t you also have something like “This & That Way” ?
Wonderful !
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Longmont, Colorado - sadly they didn’t place a sign at the intersection. Go figure.

9 Likes

By chance, going a cross country route (in UK terms !) from my daughter’s first solo exhibition, to meet a printer for my own work, my sat-nav took me down Nowhere Lane.
So at least I now know it does go somewhere.
:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

You really see them all if you work delivery. I had one place on So Dusty Trail.

1 Like

Back when I was a kid I knew this kid Named Scott Free and he lived on Easy St.

8 Likes

Frying Pan, Pity My Shoes, Mashoes, Clinton (don’t take your daughters there). Fun ones are directional streets (North, South, East, West), especially when their actual compass point bring a contrasting direction. I’ve been to E West St and S North St, among others.

3 Likes

In my town we don’t have any straight roads, they all twist and turn all over the place, and because of this there are several streets that intersect each other multiple times. When you give someone directions somewhere you have to specify which intersection by also giving a landmark. LOL.

We don’t have any silly street names, but generally, all the street names in a given area of town will follow a theme. Example: one section of town has all aviation related names, another has American Indian tribe names, another is all plant/flower names.

1 Like

If they were Bill & Ted fans… that would be “No Way way”

I know one city that has a centerpoint with 4 quadrants. The centerpoint is the intersection of north/south 0 and east/west 0. This, by itself, is not unusual. It tends to be the rule in most of the US. This particular city, though, uses different street names and numbering schemes in each quadrant, so each quarter of the city is closer to being another country than just across town.

1 Like

You know, @Jules, it wouldn’t take much to turn this into a dice tower…

I don’t know what mailboxes have to do with gaming, really, but it’s just so adorable, everybody needs an excuse to have one. :wink:

2 Likes

Too many other cute dice towers already available. :wink:

But they’re not mailboxes!!!

1 Like

True! There might be literally dozens of gaming mail carriers out there just dying for something like this. :smile:

1 Like

Niche marketing FTW!!!

1 Like

My daughter delivers mail, would love this file!!

Gentle reminder that asking for designs is against forum guidelines you agreed to when you signed up.

https://community.glowforge.com/faq

If someone shares a print that they’ve made, please respect their sharing and do not ask for the source design or artwork. Designs take work and have value, and when you ask someone to give you that value for free, you undermine their work.