Accidental Stencil


#1

Some time ago I was inspired by a link that @jeremiah posted to try this transfer technique.

I still had it floating around, and had not gotten around to fixing the black parts where the transfer didn’t work as well, so i masked it, and traced the black bits with a marker. Then I used the trace feature in the GFUI to scan the tracing on the masking… never mind that I have this as a digital file, that’s not the point.

Trace seems to shift an eighth of an inch. Hmm. something to remember and adjust for when placing the file… for now. Hopefully that will get better.

But that’s still not the point.

Here’s the point:
I used 75LPI for the engrave (of the trace (of the trace (of the transfer (of the print)))).

If I had been a little more careful pulling the masking off, I could have gotten the entire image. I wasn’t careful, because I wasn’t expecting to find what I found.

I found a stencil.

This is similar to the screen-print technique that a few others have done, but engraved into the TransferRite 592U transfer paper that I had used to mask the .114 BB plywood from Amazon that I was using

I peeled the rest a little more carefully, slapped it onto some scrap and hit it with a spraycan.

It worked surprisingly well.


Stencils for street art!
#2

Nice discovery! I have used a very low power (1 to 2 %) high speed (300 to 500) engrave and/or cut to check placement of artwork before committing to the actual work. You will have to play with the settings for your particular masking to achieve marking without burn through.


#3

That’s brilliant!