Transfer Photo onto Wood

I saw this tutorial and now have so many ideas!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq2O66QGCwg

28 Likes

oh, I havenā€™t seen that technique beforeā€¦ gonna have to try that!
I have used this technique, but the scrubbing procedure is a pain.

6 Likes

That looks like a hassle. cool alternate technique though!

3 Likes

His scrubbing step is was the only reason I havenā€™t tried it yet! I really want to make some of these Portal iconsā€¦ With any luck at all, Iā€™ll be able to GF them before long!

14 Likes

I have used the scrubbing technique with good results but it is a bit of a pain. Iā€™ll have to take a closer look at this method.

3 Likes

Looks like a poor manā€™s dye sublimation printer transfer. Shirts, mugs, hats etc are made with this sort of technique, except you use a heat press to transfer the special ink to the substrate. You can get a very nice image this way. Too bad the printers are big bucks.

4 Likes

Oh my goshā€”YES! All those super sweet portal icons are going on my wall as soon as my Glowforge arrives, then theyā€™re going to my geeky friends & family too!

4 Likes

Nice!! And Ive been throwing away all my shipping label backing papersšŸ˜­
I use several a day so I should have an ample supply in a weekā€¦lol.
This is definitely a must try.
I just realized though that I have a color laser printerā€¦hmmm must find an old inkjetā€¦

6 Likes

I believe that I saw a video using heat to melt laser printed copies to wood. Iā€™ll look for it tomorrow and post.

1 Like

Found it. It uses a Walnut Hollow wood burning tool to heat, but I imagine you could use an iron or a vertical heat press to transfer. She talks about and shows a color laser transfer at about 3:30 in. I bought one of these versa tools at Hobby Lobby a few days ago. Comes with a bunch of tips and listed for $30 and was $18 after using the 40% off coupon. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll find a few uses for it.

10 Likes

You can often find a whole new inkjet printer at K-marche or Wally World for less than the cost of the refill cartridges, especially at this time of year. Almost disposable, and lots of parts to make other things with. :grinning:

I just ordered a refurbished color laser printer/scanner @ woot! Looking forward to its arrival soon.

3 Likes

I have used this technique with laser printouts several times with pretty good results. I tend to have trouble with larger prints but have really good results with smaller images. I made wooden business cards using this method and they were quite durable.

8 Likes

I used the transfer technique on an old Indo Board. Probably should have tried something a little smaller first, I made a lot of mistakes from learning proper technique. Overall it came out decent and was a fun project. I second the scrubbing part being a pain though.

14 Likes

The cartridges that come with many printers are what they call ā€œstarter cartridgesā€ which donā€™t hold nearly as much ink as full cartridges, so watch out for those.

6 Likes

I would love to have that deadpool pic.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s something I would never have thought of. I will be trying that out soon. Thank you for sharing that with us. BOOKMARKED!!!

2 Likes

And works much better than the old (very) method of transferring photos onto wood/stone.

Just wanted to make ya smile on a Monday !

14 Likes

BeakForge ā„¢

4 Likes

@johnwills @aobrien @smcgathyfay Hereā€™s a product I saw on Etsy that uses LASER prints and polycrylic or ModgePodge to transfer images without the dreaded rubbing off the paper. It looks to produce vivid images. I could imagine some stunning work combining this and etching. Cost per letter sized sheet is about 50 cents even in relatively small quantities.

17 Likes

Typo on my part I specifically meant to reference laser and posted before coffee. Edited it now.

Thanks for catching that.

2 Likes