Acrylic and walnut hummingbird

Here’s my latest project, a Christmas gift for my mom, who loves hummingbirds. I’m not altogether happy with it, but wanted to share. I bought the file from etsy, and I think I could have used better colors for the border. I was really liking it up until I did that part, but I was a bit pressed for time. Anyway, here it is!

Also, I do have to say that acetone was a lifesaver on this project. I had glue smears everywhere, and the acetone cleaned it right up (thanks to a search on the forum for that!) Very messy, and I have gaps due to kerf adjusting just not working, but I don’t think my mom will notice, and I’m sure I learned enough to improve next time!

67 Likes

A really beautiful piece that I am sure your mom will love!

6 Likes

Welp! Your opinion no longer counts. 'Cause this thing is FANTASTIC!

11 Likes

Agree with Jules that your opinion it no longer relevant. The piece is beautiful.

6 Likes

Thanks! She loves purple so I think she’ll like it. All I can see are gaps and glue residue that wouldn’t come off and I really think the orange is too orange but whatever, it’s done now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Uhhhhh…?

I’ve been called way worse. But I bet @Jules hasn’t.

10 Likes

Bad Eyes. Agree with you. Sorry

5 Likes

Different time zones, I guess… lol…

4 Likes

Hey…wait a minute… :sweat_smile:
(True, but it wasn’t me.)

6 Likes

Awesome. Looks great as is. You can probably hide those kerf issues though if you got some liquid leading.

Since you are going for the stained glass look anyway… Simulated leading would fill the gaps and give it that next little step closer to looking like true stained glass.

Just my two cents. And just ask around here… my pennies aren’t worth a lot. :rofl:

10 Likes

Oh cool, thank you! I’ll look into it!

2 Likes

Looks great from here!

4 Likes

How interesting!

3 Likes

Dude, I think she just insulted you. :rofl:

5 Likes

That is beautiful, very inspiring!

4 Likes

If we love it, she’s going to love it even more!

2 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

It came out fantastic! Many years ago I made a similar piece out of stained glass. A lot of similar skills involved.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m sure it won’t be my last, hoping I can get better (probably should have started with something simpler :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Fantastic

2 Likes