Acrylic "ghost" image

Hello all! I’m wondering if others have experienced a “ghost” when engraving acrylic… I’m getting this:

If you are not using some sort of masking the vaporized debris from the acrylic can re deposit onto the surface. Im pretty sure that is what you are seeing there.

5 Likes

You may be able to clean it off using either a specific acrylic cleaner, or paste toothpaste - do NOT use alcohol.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I usually reverse my image and engrave from the back to avoid this kind of thing.

1 Like

Thanks. I suspected that and will try med-tack paper. this material comes with a plastic film mask that is incredibly hard to weed… Hence the attempt unmasked.

2 Likes

That was reversed and engraved from the back.

1 Like

I’ll give that a try, thanks!

Well then masking may be the answer.

1 Like

No problem, I do the same thing removing the plastic films from acrylic as I’m never sure if its safe for the laser and annoying to test and record for me. If you are having a hard time weeding out the small pieces after the engrave try using a really sticky tape like gorilla tape to peel away all the small bits if that makes sense.

2 Likes

agreed, and thanks. Gorilla tape is my friend!

2 Likes

I’ll try paper mask. Thanks!

Hey @glenn3, thanks for reaching out. It looks like you’ve received some great advice from our community members so far. I agree, masking would be the first thing to try here. If you still find that the “ghost” is showing up when using the masking, please let us know. Thank you!

Hi @glenn3. It’s been a while since we’ve seen any activity, so I’ll go ahead and close this thread. Please feel free to create a new thread, or write us at support@glowforge.com, if you run into any further trouble. We’ll be here and happy to help. Thanks!