Acrylic inlay

Hey everyone! Here’s something I did today and it turned out so well, I had to share. I have a bunch of those led light bases, so I thought I would see if I could do an acrylic inlay. Here’s the result and it is so cool. Here’s what it looks like off the base (not impressive at all) :

That is fluorescent yellow and some kind of lilac color acrylic I had leftover (both transparent, which I think is important for this). Here’s what it looks like on the base

The color sort of climbs up the edges of the different acrylic pieces as it changes. Really cool!

86 Likes

That is impressive looking. Fitting acrylic pieces together is difficult to do and make look good. Your’s looks great. :grinning:

6 Likes

Thanks! It was a beast to get to fit for sure! I broke a few pieces along the way :grin:

4 Likes

Wow - really beautiful - well worth the effort!

5 Likes

That’s an awesome effect!

4 Likes

:sunglasses: :+1:

4 Likes

The first 2 I was like “meh” and then I was like “woah” for the rest. Now I want to try

6 Likes

Nice Job! I think you found something really new! Great inspiration making!

4 Likes

I love it! And I’m impressed by your acrylic gluing skills. I always seem to make a mess.

4 Likes

I think the colors make it look good when not lit as well. This is the first time I’ve seen a piece designed to be lit by LED that used inlay. That’s a very interesting technique.

Did you use weld-on adhesive?

4 Likes

No, I used Loctite super glue. I was going to use weld-on but I didn’t think it would work since some of the triangles have small gaps here and there that I thought were too big for weld-on. So I just spread the glue on the back while it was still masked kind of smooshed it into the cracks. Let it dry for a bit and then took masking off. I am wondering if the fluorescent yellow has anything to do with how it changes colors. I was just going through my scraps looking for transparent acrylic and that’s what I had. Lucky, I guess!

3 Likes

I’d love to see what you do! I can’t stop looking at mine, it’s kind of hypnotic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, that turned out really nice.

2 Likes

Very cool. Added to my list of things to try.

2 Likes

Holy carp! This is freaking awesome! Great job!

4 Likes

Thanks everyone! So, I got the idea when I was wondering if I could do something like my mom’s hummingbird (Acrylic and walnut hummingbird) using clear acrylic as the frame instead of wood so that it could go on an LED base. Then I realized that some of what I used for that wasn’t really suited for this since the LED light wouldn’t shine up through it. I’m guessing that was the more opaque colors I used. And also the color changing might look weird on something that’s not really abstract. So I had already done a notebook cover with the compass and thought that might work. Now I am wondering what other colors of the acrylic would do. I liked that one so much I made a bigger version with the same colors since those are the only ones I had. I am looking forward to trying it again!

2 Likes

What a beautiful turnout!

1 Like

Honestly, I feel like I’m forever way from even becoming close to trying this. I haven’t even tried inlays yet

1 Like

I just remembered something that has helped me when fitting tight pieces together. Turn the piece that feels too tight over and often it will fit. :grin:

3 Likes

Yes, that works when it can be done. I think for this one I actually rearranged some of them as well. Initially I was trying to put the exact triangle in the exact spot because I wasn’t confident they were all the same size. So when things were getting tight, I started rearranging them and somehow got it to work. Now my husband wants me to make two more, ooops. Guess it’ll be more trial and error along the way. :slight_smile:

3 Likes