Acrylic Ornament Turned Out Weird

These are two of my acrylic ornaments. One turned out fine. The one on the right was engraved about twice as deep below the name as it was above the name. The middle of the robe had a different pattern than the rest; there were visible lines. Why did it turn out so poorly?
Thanks!

Aliyah%20Ornament

Well, that was weird. I don’t know why it didn’t upload the artwork.

Better picture is needed.

Upload your file if you have rights to do so. I suspect your file is (to use the technical term) “dorked up”.

1 Like

I put it together from the ornament blank I made (which seems to work just fine) a text box for the name turned into a path on top of the angel silhouette clipart.

OK, that’s fine, but without the better picture and the file, nobody’s going to be able to help you.

If you’re getting varying depths on the angel, then the problem originated in the Silhouette clipart. Does it have a gradient?

Ummm…how do I find that out?

Is it one solid color, or does it have shades of gray? (gradient - darker at the bottom, lighter at the top?)

It’s supposed to be just black. This

is the original clipart.
I did sharpen it and did an autofix on the contrast after I added the name.

@jules I don’t have silhouette, but shouldn’t all of their “clipart” be vector formats? If they are graphic based like jpeg, then that could possibly be the issue, right?

1 Like

I know a lot of my clipart are vectors, but I don’t remember if this one is.

Nope…no apparent gradient in that. From the results of the engrave though, it looks like there is a secondary band across the skirt that is darker, so it’s possible that if that is a raster image, there are slightly different shades of black in there, or some other issue. We’d definitely be better off looking at the actual file.

Usually, but their files can contain raster images as well. We used to do Print and Cut files with them. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think it would probably be simpler if I used a different clipart. :upside_down_face:

Is that the actual file that you used when you created it? That’s a jpeg file, so definitely raster.

I don’t know if that was what caused it though…it shouldn’t have been that much of a difference.

Did you just drag the jpeg onto an open file or did you create an SVG file? (If you created an SVG file, that would be the thing to see.)

Or you can rework your clipart. :smile:

I it all together into an svg file,but for some reason only part of it uploaded.

Try zipping the SVG file first…the forum does weird things to unzipped SVG files.

I seem to have misplaced it.:flushed:

Eh, don’t worry about it. I’ll use something else. Thanks for helping, everybody!

Hey @Silverlight, have you heard of “defocusing”? I don’t think that’s what happened with your ornament, but it made me wonder if you knew about it. Defocusing works really well with bigger acrylic engravings.

I’m not sure what happened with your ornament engraving though. If you find the file and want me to do a test run of it to see if it’s the file or, just let me know. I’d be happy to do it for you.

4 Likes

Hi,
Also try increasing the LPI!!

1 Like

I’m really new to this. don’t know what defocusing is. :pensive: