Acrylic Trinkets

I really love the look of “glass green” transparent acrylic, especially when etched. I designed a couple of small dangly trinkets to test what they look like painted. I’m pleased with the look, and may make these items into fobbles or earrings.

99 Likes

Cool technique! Love the fishbowl! :smile:

8 Likes

Neat affect! Cool designs!

5 Likes

Great idea. These look awesome!

5 Likes

I hate to be one of those people that asks right away what you painted them with but, what did you paint them with? :grin: This looks fantastic and you’re right the glass green really shines with these!

8 Likes

Those are really cool. I love the clear container concept.

4 Likes

The slight green color of the acrylic gives them a unique look that goes well with the fish theme. I bet they will be very popular.

7 Likes

I love your ‘tilted’ point of view. What would a ship in a bottle look like?

7 Likes

Looking at these just got me thinking (always a dangerous thing…) What would happen if you put those in an oven and let the acrylic soften a bit so the edges started to round off…? Might need to experiment a bit.

7 Likes

After etching, I just left the mask on the acrylic and painted the etched areas with regular old acrylic craft paint in the tube. Then peeled/scraped the mask off after the paint dried. Saw a tutorial on youtube, but eliminated the lacquer step because they were meant to be reverse-painted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LEWBSZER1g

4 Likes

I don’t think acrylic in the oven is a good idea. Just my opinion. BUT! I have seen people coat their acrylic designs with clear epoxy, and that gives the top a smoother, rounded surface and a glossy finish. I’ll try to find that video (or maybe I saw it on insta). Might be something (safer) for us to try!

1 Like

Oh my gosh. How cute would a ship be? If you don’t do that, can I swipe your idea?

1 Like

Oh wow, I love these! Such unique designs.

2 Likes

It’s a tiny jelly fish hiding from the world :stuck_out_tongue:

Acrylic starts to soften around 300º F and gets really soft at 325º - you can use the oven (or a heat gun) to make all sorts of cool shaped things out of acrylic! Search for “slump bowls” to find more :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Who knew! Thank you for the info. Is it safe to do that in your home oven you use for foods?

3 Likes

Please do it!

3 Likes

Yes - I mean, if you let a big chunk fall off into the oven I’d get it cleaned out before you cooked in there, but generally there’s no spillage since it gets soft, not liquid.

4 Likes

I REALLY like these. I love the texture of the engraves, the color of the acrylic, the colors you painted and the theme. Really really cute.

3 Likes

Here you go.

http://museum.wa.gov.au/maritime-archaeology-db/early-sailing-ships

You supply the bottle. :grin:

4 Likes

They look amazing! Well done!

2 Likes