Actual Wi-Fi setup steps?

Despite being tech savvy I am somewhat at a loss to finish what by all accounts is a simple step: setting up my Glowforges Wi-Fi. The process was smooth and quick up to this point in the instructions:

5: Connect to Your Glowforge Unit’s Wi-Fi
Your Glowforge is now broadcasting a special Wi-Fi channel so you can connect to it and finish setting it up. Follow the instructions on screen to connect to your Glowforge unit’s Wi-Fi.

I’m using my laptop so I simply swapped it over and told it to connect to the temporary Wi-Fi AP that I see. After that, I see nothing. I’m not prompted for anything.

I did try connecting using my phone in Airplane mode. Same thing there.

I did scan the Glowforge and only see it just running a PPP daemon and nothing else. So Im wondering what secret handshake I am missing or forgot.

I did watch the “We made a little video…” from Jan 21 and they appeared to have the same issue. Unfortunately they glossed over it with “What happened at this point was a fairly painless 4 minute process to connect the Glowforge to WIFI”. I sure wish the camera had been looking over their shoulder at this point since thats the exact issue Im stuck trying to get past.

I scanned the FAQ and looked around but I seem to be the only person who asked about this. Guess that makes me special although probably not in a good way. Can anyone help me with this last step??

Bruce

I’m not sure what video you saw…was it this one?

5 Likes

That most certainly was not but it is definitely what I needed.

Nowhere in the setup steps is there any mention of that key missing step: Go to app.glowforge.com/setup before connecting to the Glowforge AP.

The Wi-Fi instructions say to “Go to community.glowforge.com and make sure the page loads correctly.” and then “To begin setup, go to setup.glowforge.com” which is odd given thats the page I am reading!

Perhaps someone updated the setup instructions and accidentally edited that out. I hope the support team that monitors the forums will take note and have that fixed.

In the mean time many many thanks Jules! I’m going back to my Glowforge so I can finish and enjoy it.

Bruce

6 Likes

When you hit the “Continue” button on the setup.glowforge.com page, it will re-direct you to app.glowforge.com/setup .

Going to setup.glowforge.com redirects me to glowforge.com/setup/unboxing and not app.glowforge.com/setup which is how I got into my original bind

I wish it were a lot more obvious I needed to get 2/3 the way into the Unboxing steps and then click Continue. The Wi-Fi setup is at the bottom with step 5 being the one I got hung up on. Given there were 2 more steps it is not obvious / clear that I should click the Continue button at that point.

Had Step 5 said:

Your Glowforge is now broadcasting a special Wi-Fi channel so you can connect to it and finish setting it up. Click the Continue button at the bottom of this page to begin the Wi-Fi setup steps. Follow the instructions on screen to connect to your Glowforge unit’s Wi-Fi…

I would have tried it. Or if it simply told me the URL up front like in steps 1 & 2 I would have been able to noodle it out.

To me, a Continue button at the bottom means you finish all the steps first and then click it. Maybe I’m just old school that way.

Thanks again for the help.

Bruce

1 Like

I got hung up on the same spot when I got mine. I must have re-read the instructions 50 times before trying continue.

1 Like

same

1 Like

I’m so sorry that the instructions weren’t clear and I’ve shared your feedback with the team.

Thanks for the video @Jules. I’m going to close this thread. If you have any additional questions, go ahead and post a new topic.

1 Like