Adirondack Furniture

I designed a suite of full scale furniture based on the Adirondack style about 10 years ago. Recently I prototyped the set at 1/8 scale in Balsa on a Glowforge to see how it would look and check for mechanical stability. Turned out great. The foot stool is designed to allow the user to rock it with their legs for comfort. The chair has an optional fold up side table (not shown) for a snack or drink. The arms are wide and level to hold your beer. Tables have curved profiles to accommodate all sorts of interesting configurations, including an arrangement around a resort fire pit. I had a full size chair out of teak fabricated as a test, but never built the rest of the set. All the elements are designed to be cut from flat stock. The chair can be disassembled for shipping.

Matt

52 Likes

Great use for prototyping! (And still love the design!) :grinning:

6 Likes

Gorgeous design! I love how the side table has a similar curvature to the table.

6 Likes

Gorgeous, I love the curved tables. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Cool!

4 Likes

Wow, that’s the most beautiful Adirondack set I’ve ever seen!

2 Likes

Great design - looks good whether full scale or mini!

2 Likes

These turned out awesome! Great design work!

2 Likes

I’ve always loved the look of Adirondack chairs, but I have so much trouble getting in and out of them. I don’t know if it’s because I’m short (5’2") or fat (not telling)! Your micro set looks fabulous. We just watched an episode of “Handcrafted America” where a guy (in No. Carolina I believe) makes Adirondack chairs and stools out of old whisky barrels. It was very interesting. I love the weathered wood on yours.

2 Likes

Really nice work. Some day I want to do a full sheet CNC to do flat pack furniture like this. Really inspiring

2 Likes

Do you have a full sheet CNC? Maybe we could collaborate. Where are you based?

I am in Hayward, CA

1 Like

Check out the Kitchissippi Chair (Veritas Tools sells the plans). It’s a less sloped seat than a traditional adirondack with a higher seating position which makes it easier to get in & out. Traditional adirondack chairs can be hard to get in/out as you pass a certain age and the Kitchissippi is designed to make them much easier to use while retaining the classic style.

I converted the plans to VCarve so I can cut them on the CNC. I use 1by material vs. solid sheets like plywood because it’s better suited for exterior use but I just drop the boards onto the table, lock them in and cut.

7 Likes

Not yet. I have one that does 28x28 up to 3/4" material.

I watch Frank Makes and he uses his so well. My goal is to make all that furniture and cabinets in the house I’ll be building in the next couple years. It’s a big dream, but so far I’m on track.

I live in Missouri, so a bit far away.

3 Likes

A beautiful set!

1 Like

Oooh, that’s pretty. But I want the traditional slope, 'cause being able to get up from it helps me to believe I’m not THAT old, yet! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Great! Thank you!

I Like the distressed look best. Makes it look very real and life size.