Adjustable mask hook

That’s one of several characteristics of the fake masks they are alerting on.

Not all N95’s with ear loops are fake.

1 Like

The wording on the CDC site is pretty clear. And after having been fit-tested multiple times, I can tell you there is NO way ear loops will secure a mask tightly enough to your face to make it leak-proof, even with nose wire. There is just no way an N95 mask with ear loops could pass certification requirements.

Exactly. It’s just one of the signs that it may be.

Signs that a respirator may be counterfeit:

N95 masks in the UK and here come in over-ear versions.

The material may pass filtration requirements, but I wouldn’t trust one with my life, since I know from experience air WILL leak in around the edges. (Heck, they’ve never been able to get an N95 to fit my face; I was one of the employees designated to have to wear a PAPR in infectious environments because of that.)

From the ConsumerLabs link I listed above:

Be aware that masks labeled as “KN-95” are not N-95 respirators and their filtration may not match that of N-95 masks. KN-95 masks may also not have a proper fit to prevent air leakage and typically have “ear loops” rather than the head bands used on N-95 respirators. The CDC has published its own tests of many of KN-95 and related masks, by brand, showing filtration levels as low as 13.6% to over 99%; however air leakage was not tested, so a KN-95 mask filtering 99% may be inferior to an N-95 respirator that provides a proper fit eventhough its filtration efficiency need not be greater than 95%).

The CDC also publishes a list of approved N-95 respirators, and the FDA has published a list of authorized N-95 respirators from China that have not gone through the CDC (NIOSH) approval process but were approved in China. Note that some products that had been on this list were later removed after being tested by the CDC (NIOSH).