Advent Present Locking Box

EDIT: See the final version here Finally done! Advent locking present box also with the updated tree.

Had an idea in the wee hours of the morning to have a box that will lock until you hit a date and then it will open. Well, after a lot of thinking and having to buy a bag of rubber bands, I am almost done.

Still need to add the overlays for the sides but I am liking it so far! Only will be 10 boards total (that is progress for me :slight_smile: ).

The mechanism uses a rubber band to keep tension on the lock lever. And the tray can be pulled out to change the rubber band if you need to. If it breaks when it’s locked you can still get it open, it just won’t lock until you put a new rubber band in.

Hope to be done soon!!! Ok, well it needs to be lol.

46 Likes

I look forward to the finished box. Can you cheat? The rubber band doesn’t know a day has passed does it?

2 Likes

That is increasingly clever! I look forward to seeing the final product.

3 Likes

Haha. You can definitely cheat. But that takes the fun out of it. Also you can set the lock to any day you wish. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! I am hoping to get it done before the weekend. Work has been crazy!

2 Likes

Dayum Victor! That concept is so cool!
You have me captive with the numbers… Nice work man.

5 Likes

Wow… your mind works in mysterious ways. Cant wait to see it finished.

3 Likes

Thanks! The numbers were fun! Lol

1 Like

Me either. Just need more hours in a day…like everyone else I am sure. Lol

3 Likes

I know what you mean. I think I saw myself headed back in to town earlier today when I turned down my road on my way home.

3 Likes

Great idea! I thought it was going to be something arduino powered with strong servo motors and a real time clock! The rubber bands are better! Certainly easier to program!

3 Likes

What a clever idea! I am eager to see how this will work…

1 Like

Love it! Would like to see video of it in operation.

2 Likes

Intriguing! And congrats on only using 10 sheets… :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh my goodness this is awesome!

1 Like

That is such a beautiful job. Well done!

2 Likes

Wow another brilliant piece of work!

2 Likes

Interesting. Would love to see some of the inner workings.

1 Like

Ooo possibilities are endless. A birthday box, a Valentine’s Day box, a break out of jail box… great work!!!

3 Likes

Very cool concept. I love the detail on the base top.

2 Likes