Affinity Designer for Windows

You are going to be impressed. Affinity Designer smokes Illustrator in speed, opening files is thee times faster. I used to use the Cloud version of Illustrator and it choked on large files, could not even open 250 meg files. AD opened them in less than a minute. AD is also faster than Inkscape for editing vectors. AD, however, does not have a raster to vector conversion so AD and Inkscape complement one another.

I look forward to your review and comments since my use in focused / limited to vector editing!!!

2 Likes

Well, I gave the Mac trial version a shot.
Itā€™s a wash for me. Doesnā€™t play well with my Wacom. Forums confirmed this.

I was impressed with some of the tools and functions, like the expanded ā€˜shapesā€™ menu hidden under the triangle shape (especially arrows), and the global color pallet.

3 Likes

Very interested in reading how people found it compared to Inkscape or Illustrator.

1 Like

I will attempt a small project in Affinity tomorrow. At this point, I am more interested in the ios app version; while I really like the adobe Capture app, I have been very unimpressed with the adobe Draw app.
If I come into an iPad (ahem, universeā€¦ are you listening? Santa?) I would want to be able to use it to draw with. Drawing with my finger on the iphone5 is like trying to paint minifigures with a mop.

6 Likes

I signed up for the Windows beta :slight_smile: Kudos to you.

I got it for $39 last week when they released it to the beta users - thought it was a deal, but it looks like thatā€™s just the intro price :slight_smile: Either way, itā€™s a decent app and one I recommend to my laser students who want something with a bit more official support than Inkscape but donā€™t want to pay the price of Corel (my fave) or AI (2nd fave).

5 Likes

Is anyone able to compare AD against Inkscape? I used Illustrator and CorelDRAW side by side for years but slipped away from them as I changed industries. Now trying Inkscape since itā€™s Open Source but kinda frustrated with the way it worksā€¦ doesnt feel as intuitive to me.

2 Likes

Another nice feature of Affinity Designer is that when you open an Inkscape SVG file, all the layer names are maintained. Illustrator drops all the names which is a real pain if you are using lots of layers. Lots of nice features in AD. I will try and list them as I remember.

3 Likes

OK Iā€™m just going for it and purchasing, for $40 got nothing to lose. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You will still need Inkscape or another raster to vector package if you do r to v conversions.

1 Like

Iā€™m always in Illustrator. I am going to have to give this a try though.

1 Like

Looked at the Mac trial version for a bit last night. Iā€™m not sure that Iā€™ll need it, as Inkscape does everything that Affinity does. Itā€™s just a matter of figuring out how each one does it. Though as @timtsuga mentions, Affinity does not seem to be able to rasterize a bitmap. I could be wrong and just did a cursory look through the menus. There is a ā€œrasterize vectorā€ command, and it had no effect on the .jpg that I had open at the time. I need to do some tutorial watching to figure more out.

2 Likes

Cake!
Congratulations for extreme patience exemplified by restraining yourself for a year!

2 Likes

Happy cake day! :cake:

2 Likes

I found Affinity Designer much easier and faster than Inkscape when selecting vector arcs, plus the graphics showing which vectors are selected is better. Maybe @chadmart1076 has a faster computer than me! Iā€™m using a Mac with a Corei3 chip on an iMac. Or maybe since he works in Seattle and is closer to Microsoft and I live in Olympia, all software runs faster there! :-)))

3 Likes

Iā€™m testing it on an 8-10 year old Macbook Pro. I donā€™t actually know the specs, but I venture to say it isnā€™t fast. I didnā€™t do much in my first look at the software, and need to sit down and pump out a whole design to see how it flows. Also, I would assume that the speed of a Mac is inversely proportional to itā€™s proximity to Microsoft! :wink: Olympia is technically closer to Cupertino, so your Mac should run faster than mine!

4 Likes

Lol! Glad you are on a Mac! My secret to keeping my 2010 iMac with a Corei3 chip running fast is to have a 2016 PC with a Corei7 chip sitting on a desk across the room. My iMac runs faster with a little competition if it thinks I am going to abandon it for a PC, which I am not! Apple iMac completely smokes a much higher end PC in the graphics arena. I think PCā€™s still donā€™t have graphic cards!!!

4 Likes

Agree, I very much look forward to your impression

2 Likes

Honestly, I much prefer PC to Mac. It just happens that my laptop option right now is an old Macbook. Eventually I want to get a new laptop, or maybe a Surface. My desktop (where I do most of my design work) is a PCā€¦ also fairly old, but with a pretty robust graphics card.

4 Likes

Iā€™m using a Mac with a Wacom table, tooā€¦and havenā€™t really noticed any issues with Affinity. My tablet is under a year old, though, so perhaps I havenā€™t used it in enough situations to know the difference.

1 Like

The Apple pencil is truly amazing and so much fun. Hope Santa is within earshot, for you!