Affinity Designer for Windows

For those interested in Affinity Designer with bonus add-ons at $40, tomorrow is the last day of the full release sale.

Thanks for the link. Installed fine and flows really well. I was working on a plot plan for my solar install and this helped out quite a bit, actually a lot! :slight_smile: Now if I could just convince myself to buy the book. No experience with Corel or Illustrator so I can’t provide a comparison.

2 Likes

We installed a 6kw system back in March, could not be happier!

2 Likes

Make sure to get the 3 freebie downloads -Grade UI Kit, DAUB Essentials and The Box Set - which are in the confirmation email.

Makes the $40 price a $108 value.:money_mouth:

Update: Very large download on freebies

2 Likes

I’m hoping to achieve the same feeling. Going for 10.8kW. Gotta have enough power to Forge! :slight_smile:

1 Like

We reserved a model 3, an array and a power wall are next.

2 Likes

Interesting. Are you using an intuos or a cintiq?

For me, so far:
productivity issues

• Fill colors jumping all over the place (only on the cintiq screen, not always repeatable, horrifically annoying),
  • randomly duplicating elements instead of moving them on drag,
  • various tools not responding to being selected.
  • No trace function?

annoying to me (although possible that I am not using various tools correctly)

• I finally found where I could turn on the pressure sensitivity. Variable width brushes should have this on by default. A wacom/touch options menu in the prefs would be grand.
  • Full screen mode hides the file menu bar. Stop that.
  • Joining strokes requires using “actions” that are (to me, right now) not at all intuitive.
  • If I drag a bezier curve node all the way back into the anchor point, I can’t then grab the anchor point and move it… i just end up grabbing the curve node again. Gotta click off, then back, or convert node type.
  • Holding spacebar during another operation (like dragging an element) does not switch to pan. You must end the operation, then pan.
  • Auto zoom-in (there has got to be a way to turn this off, but I haven’t looked hard enough I guess)
  • No offset functions (the dev team has been “working on it” for well over a year)
  • Pixel Persona: raster effects for screen or print. Breaks vectors: no go for vector computer control of cutting hardware like my plotter, or the glowforge.
  • The forum has a search function delay. If I get zero results, don’t punish me by making wait to ask it in another way. Not enough other sources of info online yet. (that will change over time, and there is always the book, but I’m not gonna buy it just for the free ten-day trial)

Things I like:
great object-to-object distance guides and rulers. (can’t find how to turn them back on, but when they were there they were great)
Different snapping modes.
Great selection of pre-made, adjustable shape tools.
Layers are malleable in interesting ways. haven’t gotten far enough in to really know, but I certainly appreciate the “create layer from group” function.
Eyedropper tool works to grab color from bitmap photo asset. (that is awesome)
Save history with document.

One feature that is missing from Affinity and AI (and maybe inkscape, i dunno), but which has existed in Flexi for years: Throw Shadows.

that’s all for now.

7 Likes

Are throw shadows “dimensional” shadows, shadows with perspective, however you want to describe it?

Great synopsis, btw.

1 Like

yeah…

4 Likes

I was never pleased with the results Illustrator or CorelDRAW produced with conversions and usually opted for doing it manually. So that’s not a deal breaker for me.

1 Like

With some experimentation and fiddling, Inkscape does a good job. There is stand alone r to v software but I have been satisfied with Inkscape. Has anyone in the Forum compared Inkscape raster to vector with other software that does the conversion?

I started looking at the Affinity products when they released the Windows versions. One issue (for me) is that they don’t yet support Halftones (they call it Newsprint).

Some mention in the forums as a future development - but that was back in 2015 - and the latest versions still do not include!

2 Likes