Air Assist Experiments (Not Glowforge Specific)

This is interesting:

Queue the air assist fan replacement hacks! :grinning:

8 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking about this for a while. So the easy one would be just to put a more powerful fan in the same position on the carriage plate. Donā€™t know if there is such a thing.

But Iā€™ve also been thinking about making the scoop narrower and more focused on the beam, maybe filling in the sides of the scoop or making the scoop sort of funnel shaped

1 Like

It is interesting. Iā€™ve never looked ā€œunder the hoodā€ at the air assist fan assembly in any depth, but Iā€™d assume thereā€™s probably a more efficient design for the scoop that would help.

1 Like

3D printed nozzle:

Would be pretty trivial to design. Youā€™d want it to be as light as possible.

Upgrading the fan would put more electrical load on the system, in addition to added weight - that would be risky in my opinion.

2 Likes

The only thing I would probably do is bench test any design for flow before sticking it on the machine and running a job for real world testing. I may be wrong, but I thought axial fans performed better under high volume/low pressure situations, rather than low volume/high pressure. You donā€™t need a ton of pressure coming out, even 2-3 psi is enough for an air assist. But youā€™d want to make sure that youā€™ve got that.

1 Like

I do this in my milling machine to keep flood coolant off the lens of the GoPro. I used a commercial grade aquarium air pump (barely audible) which is on the same internal circuit as the flood coolant pump so it is under g-code control. Not super high pressure (if I wanted that I could just take the high-pressure air feed in the machine which is 100psi regulated (from my screw compressor, but that would launch my GoPro like an air rocketā€¦ as all I wanted was a nice fan shaped continuous air curtain in from of the lens to blow scattered droplets away

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.