Air Assist Fan Not Turning

Hey smart Glowforge people!!

My air assist fan is not working. I went through the steps of cleaning it, and discovered that the fan is catching on something. It won’t move unless forced by my hand (not even the force of compressed air is moving it). I’ve emailed support about this but have yet to get an answer other than a form email telling me to do exactly what I’ve already done.

I’m in a hurry, naturally, to get my Glowforge up and running. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

https://community.glowforge.com/uploads/short-url/7q0oGgW5qJbYIaImD89yxKmqKVp.MOV

I would check the 4 contacts on the carriage beneath where the head sits, and also check the corresponding 4 pins that make contact… with those contacts that are located on the bottom of the head. Clean/wipe down the contacts on the carriage plate, and check that the pins on the head look ok, aren’t stuck, etc.

Thanks @jbmanning5- I’ve done that already and the pins are just fine.

1 Like

If you smell it does it smell of electrical burning? Seems if there’s nothing visibly obstructing it from turning that it might be fried motor windings (which means a new part is needed).

1 Like

Thanks @jamesdhatch and all! Got in touch with support and think we’ve resolved the issue. New part definitely needed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am glad you are getting new parts. That fan is damaged. Both the blades and the housing show deformation. Did you have a fire?

1 Like

I had a fire about five months ago - no issues with the air assist until now. Maybe it’s just been slowly wearing down since then??

1 Like

I am guessing so.

I’m glad the new carriage plate resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!