Air assist fan, tried all the steps

So I did a search and didn’t see anything that looks like my problem, so I’m sorry if people get tired of this question.

I got the air assist fan error today while cutting a large project. I clean the machine weekly so while this was unexpected I figured I’ve cut a lot recently so maybe there is a problem. So I do all the steps and still get the error. I break it down and clean it, still get the problem.

attached are images of the fan when I took it off to clean it, as you can see, the fans are pretty clean. I also gave the exhaust fan a once over and vacuumed out the hose just to be sure. All clean.

So not sure what the next thing to do is. Please share your thoughts!

You didn’t mention whether you were using magnets for hold-down, that can cause this problem.

3 Likes

Make sure that these contact points (1) and the connector pins (2) have been thoroughly cleaned.

Use alcohol and a pencil eraser to clean the contact points (1).

Wipe with a Q-tip that has been dipped in alcohol, let dry then use the eraser to scrub away any remaining buildup. Do the same for the spring-loaded contact pins on the bottom side of the print head.

Disconnect the fan cable and clean the plug and receiver by dipping the cable connector in alcohol then reconnecting it. Do this a couple of times to help scrub the contacts clean, but be sure to take it slow and not bend any of the pins.

2 Likes

One more thing…

Remove the springs that hold the rear wheels in position so you can inspect the printed circuit board underneath them. The springs have a tendency to rub on the circuit board, if this has been going on for a while, you may have a short circuit or broken circuit connection hidden under one or both of the springs.

After removing the springs, clean and inspect the circuit board in this area, look closely at the four circuit traces and make sure that they have not been damaged by the springs.

3 Likes

No, no magnets. I know that they can cause a problem so I’ve tried to avoid them.

Does the fan spin freely like this? Just noticed that your plate looks like it is still covered in residue and some of that may be inside the fan depending on how you cleaned it.

Also it looks like you have your fan installed backwards.

2 Likes

The fan does spin freely and yes your right, in the photo it is backwards, i caught that before I put it back on, I should have re-taken the pic.

OK so I have followed all of the GF directions on the air assit fan, I have removed and cleaned the fan, I have cleaned the exhaust fan as well. I have followed the steps on cleaqning the contacts with rubbing alchol and the eraser. Fan is installed in the correct direction, cleaned the contacts for the print head cable. Idid all of those steps yesterday aqnd today

GF support, PLEASE HELP I have work to do and since I am out of a job due to COVID this is my only gig at the moment…

went through everything again, I think ive used an entire can of compressed air by now. Ive also disconnected everything and reset by reconnecting to the network, changed wifi network and just generally shut everything down and re-booted everything. Ive loaded different designs as well thuinking maybe it s a glitch in my design?

Next thing is to just sit here and stare intently at the screen waiting to get a response. This seems to work when my cat wants food so maybe it will work with customer service? Ive seen them responsding to other more resctn posts than mine so i think that someone is out there…maybe? Not sure what else to do.

Chuckle! I’m glad to see you are keeping your sense of humor…as a veteran owner of many starving felines, that made me smile. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

They will take a look at your logs and if they see anything amiss they will let you know what’s up…if we had seen anything you hadn’t tried, we’d have mentioned it so you could try it.

But at this point, it looks like you need to sit tight until they do their rounds and pick up the ticket. It’s first come, first served, and for easy issues, they can respond quicker…deeper problems require more time on their end, but they will still get started on it when they see it…they just might not respond to you until they have something set up to resolve it, or a test for you to try if they can’t find the problem immediately. Hopefully it won’t take too long.

Hi @richelle.m.maki - thanks for the excellent detail on everything you’ve provided so far, and thanks to our awesome community for the numerous great ideas in this thread so far.

Since we’re still having issues after cleaning the contacts and fan I’d like to investigate a bit of a different area.

Could you please take a photo of the back of the printer head similar to the one below and send it to us:

I’ll take a look once that photo has come across and follow up with some next steps.

Hopefully these have enough lighting and detail for you. Please get back to me as soon as you can, I have some outstanding gifts to finish!

image|666x500

Hi @richelle.m.maki

Thank you! I’ve just made a small change on our end. The alert you’re seeing is new and the team is still making changes, so your feedback was very helpful.

Can you try printing again and let me know if you’re still having trouble or if you still see that the fan is not spinning?

its cutting!!!Thank you!

1 Like

Woohoo! That’s great news, I’m glad to hear it.

Since we’re all set I’m going to go ahead and close up this topic, but feel free to reach out again if you ever need any more assistance.

1 Like