Air Assist Warning

So at 9:35 EST I get the message that my air assist is having problems. Contact support. Thus, I am contacting support. Please advise.

4 Likes

This might be a quick solution.
https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/reseat-printer-head

2 Likes

Thanks. Tried it, but no go. Same warning.

1 Like

Also just removed carriage plate and cleaned air assist fan with compressed air. Blades spin freely. No obvious damage. Replaced everything and still get air assist warning.

That’s a nice warning. Very clear and tells you what to do.

Before support chimes in, you might want to check the condition of the fans themselves…see if they’re clogged up. There’s a little one in the head here:

IMG_5426

That one is easy to clean with some canned air or a blower if you take out the lens first. I use this:

IMG_5428

The other one is harder to see, you have to lean over the gantry arm and it’s on the carriage plate behind the tube.

IMG_5429

There are instructions for taking that one out, but I prefer to just use a snake camera to take a look before going through all that bother. You might want to just lean over it and shine a flashlight into it to judge the condition before trying to disassemble the carriage plate.

I cleaned mine recently so it’s in pretty good shape:

Anyway, that’s just something to check once in a while.

6 Likes

Thanks for responding. I have cleaned both fans, but still get the warning. When I hit print, the head moves a few inches forward and toward the middle, then stops and gives me the warning. The exhaust fan(s) are running.

Guess I’ll have to wait for support to contact me.

I’m so sorry for the trouble.

If you press on them, they should press down easily, and spring back up right away. Is that the case with your pins?

And can you send a photo of the pins from the bottom of your head?

Did you remove the fan completely and clean the back side. When I cleaned mine I thought I cleaned it good and the blades spun easily but the back side was almost completely clogged. So it’s worth checking.

5 Likes

The pins each spring back quickly.

How do the plates look that those contact on the chip? Does it still have the metallic coating intact?

If I put my artwork in the uppermost left corner, the laser will fire and begin to operate, then give me the air assist warning. If the artwork is in the middle of the artboard, the head moves a little toward the middle then gives me the warning without traveling to the point where the artwork is. In this instance, the laser never fires.

plate looks good to me. It is odd that the laser will fire for a second or two if the artwork is in the upper left most corner. Otherwise, the head stops after a couple of inches movement toward artwork in the middle of the artboard and gives me the air assist warning.

Did you try a different file too?

Yes. This file is Gift of Good Measure on Med Draftboard

:slightly_frowning_face:

It is unfortunate that the design just stops when it sees a problem ! We have been working for a year or more with the fan stopped completely . and making bad cuts but no cuts at all could have us pulling our hair out.

More to the point I have designs where the point is that the fan is exercised and de-gumming itself, Many times I have seen the fan not work at the start but eventually working well . If I cannot start down that path it would be a real problem greater than the problem it is supposed to fix.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.

1 Like