Air filter deliveries

I would look into an alternative in fact I did buy this and though difficult to connect the 4 inch to ten inch connection, it can certainly allow you to use your machine.

We had originally started looking into similar solutions back in January, but were concerned with causing subtle but lasting damage after reading specs between the two. And perhaps if we had known that the wait was going to be more like 11+ months back then, perhaps the $650 price tag for a temporary bandaid might have been worth it. We had also considered cancelling when we first got our email and going with another brand of laser that simply includes a filter, but truly wanted the Glowforge.

Unfortunately no. Our HOA is cray cray. We live on the 2nd floor and got in trouble for having one potted plant on our balcony… don’t even know how they knew about, you had to be hunting for it to even see it from down there. If we had a hose going out our window to the degree of the Glowforge documents, we would definitely have it callled in. (And our windows are these huge windows that open outward on a hinge, so it really would be obvious). I convinced hubby to buy a pet sliding door insert, and now we are tasked with trying to adapt it to fit the hose out 3feet onto the patio without being visible from below.

Thanks for offering the support though, this is such a great community.

2 Likes

You really don’t need a long extension outside. A simple dryer flap is enough as long as the rest of the window opening is sealed with a piece of plywood or in your case some clear plexi.

1 Like

:thinking: Maybe you need to watch reruns of Hogan’s Heroes for ideas on concealing the exhaust?

A few people have posted dust covers:

3 Likes

Yeah, 3 feet isn’t that long… just need to make sure it’s not visible

Haha, I might have to. & thank you so much for the links, that’s super helpful!

I knew that it would be a supposed 5 months (it will be at least 10 ) and did not want to wait. The $650 turns out to be a lot cheaper than other viable alternatives. It is bigger than I thought, and less needed as I did manage an “Out the Window” alternative but had to sacrifice the Dining room for it, However particularly at first I had leaking issues, and a lot blew back in the window before I fixed it at which time the blue beast worked like a charm even eliminating cooking odors

Your porch alternative in your situation will probably not work out as wood, acrylic, or leather.would not be unnoticed by your neighbors, however even without that you could engrave tiles even now and start having the fun as long as you did not use tape over them they would engrave with no more than dust showing and not much of that. in such a case even emptying back into the room with nothing would not be critical.

Contrary to damage having even a 500 CFM hurricane blowing through (you can dial quite a range from too little to the 500)would help far more than hurt the situation, running cooler, and moving the smoke out faster there would be less buildup and less cleaning.

That’s impressive that it was able to eliminate odors. We are really hoping the Glowforge filter can handle the leather and wood smell; but from our experience with the Epilog we currently utilize, we aren’t holding our breath.

I agree with the Hogan’s Heroes references. Get creative.

…because just as in the six seasons of Hogan’s Heroes, this war seems never to end.

2 Likes

So it works? I guess that if it did not you would be.

Lol… I was referencing your comment about your Blue removing the kitchen odors. The Epilogs we use at our local workshop do not take care of the smell unfortunately… or maybe I just don’t know how bad it would really be without their huge filtration system.

1 Like

It may well be that the charcoal filters will need to be changed more frequently, particularly given what comes off a laser is often more smell than smoke,

Hmmm… I don’t know. They get upgraded as soon as the warranty runs out to a newer model. & I have worked on one that was only a few weeks old. The maintenance guy is also super on top of things, but maybe I’ll mention this to him.

Bought my forge in 2015, waited til 2017 for it to arrive and STILL waiting on an air filter

Product Delivery
Air Filter January 30, 2019

It’s annoying waiting for it. I imagine it will be outdated by the time it is actually released.
My date has changed SEVERAL times, I was supposed to get it in Jan, than March, than SEPT and now this CRAP. They are pimping out forges and can’t get to the filters WTF?

I’m a pro user, getting a filter, and I don’t recall seeing an email about the filter.

Well, ya see, lasers/cnc machines are simple and are stamped out on an assembly line, but air filters, well that’s another thing, scientists on the International Space Station are trying to find out how they work, and when they do . . . . .
I don’t see what the hold up is but I hope they throw in some extra activated charcoal filters for the lonnnnnnng wait.
Dan, is this a possibility? Maybe some Proof-grade maple, purpleheart wood, credit on Inventables for materials, something to make us happy? Can’t hurt to ask.
Thanks,
R.L. Hamm

1 Like